Home > Trip Reports > March 19, 2007, Grand Teton, stetner, chevy, ford

March 19, 2007, Grand Teton, stetner, chevy, ford

3/19/07
US elsewhere
Posted by danhelmstadter on 3/20/07 4:17am
Well the weather isnt to winter like for the most part over here, pretty unusual, but thats the way march goes i guess. I skined up garnet canyon on sunday, set up camp at ~10,500 around corbtez high camp. Started climbing the tepe g at 4 monday, and was well up the couloir network by the time the sun was shining. There were maybe 6 ice steps, mostly easy but one on the chevey was a bugger, i protected with a 10m 5mil , some cams and ice screws. Easy climbing up the Ford couloir, and all the ways to the summit. I waited on the summit for over an hour, but still the suncrust would not soften, Took a pic and skiied off the exact summit, breakable suncrust too the ford couloir, then nonbreakable icy suncrust in the couloir,, i rapped the chevy with a 60m ice floss and a 60m 3mil pull cord,, sorry  i did not get any pics of the icy couloir network, as the chevy is pretty steep and mostly water ice,, then skiied the tepe g down to high camp, and then all the way back to the truck at 6000' the last couple miles through the moranie were agonizeingly difficult as the snow was deep glop. I could barley ski it, as i was so wasted and carrying my 30-40lb pack, infact i did take the skiies off in a futile attempt to make the going easier, but i sank in and toppeled over many times, eating handfulls of snow every time.

[Edited title - Charles]
Thanks for the Grand TR, Dan. 

Just the other day I was thinking, "Where's Dan? Did he get a job?" I think not!!! That's some first class skiing. Nice work!

Hey Dan, nice work.  I wouldn't have thought to bring a 10 meter rope but it sounds like it simplified the ascent.
How cold is it up top in March?

thanks, it was not that cold up there, i did not have my snow science kit with me,, but it seemed right around freezing, although the water on the sides of my bottle frooze pretty easialy when swished around. Last year I was up there at the end of April, and it was around 0dg f. Hows Rainier looking for skiing, did they ever fix that road?

Roads?  We don't need no stinking roads.

Come to the northwest with an open mind about approaches, Dan.  There's definitely been plenty precip this year.

Edit: Wow, I didn't see the blog from today until after I posted that link.  I only meant to refer Dan to road information there.  This was not intended as a comment about the couple who drowned.

author=skykilo link=topic=6534.msg26843#msg26843 date=1174504061">
Roads?  We don't need no stinking roads.

Come to the northwest with an open mind about approaches, Dan.  There's definitely been plenty precip this year.

Edit: Wow, I didn't see the blog from today until after I posted that link.  I only meant to refer Dan to road information there.  This was not intended as a comment about the couple who drowned.

Hey Sky... are you trouble???...  Did you get your permit yet, the roads are going to open soon...  I look forward to your ski reports!

Reply to this TR

march-19-2007-grand-teton-stetner-chevy-ford
danhelmstadter
2007-03-20 11:17:02