Home > Trip Reports > March 15, 2007, Melissa Coray Peak, Kirkwood

March 15, 2007, Melissa Coray Peak, Kirkwood

3/15/07
Posted by Zap on 3/19/07 6:13am
Last year, Jill and I did this tour on April 28 and the access from Kirkwood€™s back lift is quite easy.  Unfortunately it wasn€™t operating at that time. Although now there is enough snow for the tour, there is a lot less snow this year and it is 6 weeks earlier. The TR from last April provides all the details of the tour.  This year we planned to ski a different aspect and not do the circumnavigation.  It has been sunny and warm in the Lake Tahoe region for the past 2 weeks.  The ski area has excellent coverage but the lower terrain, below 7000€™, is melting quickly.  Kirkwood has controlled access to the backcountry.  When €œaccess€ is available, you can leave the ski area and tour wherever your legs and lungs will take you.  The top lift-served elevation is 9800€™ which provides a nice elevation to start touring. We skinned past the entrance to Fawn Ridge which has excellent tree skiing back to the Sunrise lift.  The tour provides wonderful views north towards Carson Pass and, being along the Sierra Crest, views west across the Sierra.  All of the north-facing slopes were firm, and we planned to ski the southwesterly drainages.  Unfortunately, the winds during the past week had sculpted all the ski able lines.  There were runnels and a wind-affected snow surface that required a concentrated up unweighting to avoid being trapped. Uggh!  We decided it was safer and more enjoyable back on the groomers.  The views were splendid but the snow sucked.

We have been skiing at Kirkwood and Heavenly with our passes, and it has been wonderful spring skiing.  The backcountry touring options are quite a bit more limited this season because the snow pack is melting quickly.  Red Lake Peak at Carson Pass is mainly brown on its southern aspect with only thin ribbons of snow showing.  I read a recent TR by a local who described the route as €œit€™s in but it€™s thin€.  Tahoe is famous for big, late storms; perhaps it will happen yet.  I think we€™ll start working our way north after Tuesday€™s snow event.  We plan to stop at Lassen, Shasta and a couple of OR areas with our Shell 2 for 1 coupons.

Zap & Jill

Reply to this TR

march-15-2007-melissa-coray-peak-kirkwood
Zap
2007-03-19 13:13:08