Home > Trip Reports > March 18, 2007, Bullion/Point 6479'

March 18, 2007, Bullion/Point 6479'

3/18/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by telemack on 3/18/07 12:49pm
The Scotsman got this idea about a Dogapalooza tour with the canines, so he, Sidnie and I left the upper lot after Ron J, Jen, Jerry, Stefan and Daryl on a nice mild AM.  Somehow we got above them, but we all met up in the small bowl below 6479.  We skinned looker's L of the gully below the bowl, then R to the ridge, to avoid the steeper warm slopes.  A sunny climb of the ridge, with fine views, took us to Point 6479'.  Glad I put sunscreen on at the car.  Super temps, neither cool nor sweaty.
     Atop the point it was decided some serious stability work was in order, due to the warmth and Joedabaker's whoomping TR.
Scotty set up a ski anchor and I headed into the top of the little bowl on belay.  After some aerobic slope-jumping in deep mush I dug a pit.  Found 4 or 5 crusts at 8", 12", 16", 24", and more, but well bonded.  The second layer was the most suspicious, fingers went in easily under it.  A shovel compression test (sans saw-chopped the back with the shovel) showed no instability after 10 + 10 taps; Daryl, watching from a small cornice, said, "That looks great!" as I smacked it full-arm.  It finally shovel-sheared at about 2-1/2 feet, very unevenly.  Daryl and Gerry sawed through the cornice and pried it off, with no exciting results.
     Meanwhile the others had found a fine 33-35 deg. slope I've often admired from across the basin, that we ended up calling the Triangle, directly below the point.  I got to go first due to my canary-in-a-coal-mine chores, and we all had 450' of fine stuff, a bit grabby, down to a bench.  Most of us lapped it again, including the Corn Dogs, then it was down through trees and a little halfpipe to the upper Bullion floor.  Ron and Jerry had gone on up the north side of the basin, and the rest of us conga-ed up most of the way to take a really nice run back down with 3-4" corn on a nice firm surface.  Much sunbathing, eating, telling of jokes and lies, and bowser-begging ensued.
     Eventually we roused ourselves for a casual ski down to the cat-track and the not-even-very-muddy lot.  Springtime was upon us this weekend.  Ron J's pix should be showing up soon.  Thanks for all the great company ye lads and lasses.
Very nice report, Mack.
And a fun day for sure.  It was interesting watching the different personalities of the dogs.  There was only one time when Chuggie was not all over the place:

Great Action:

Great Turns:

More Pics HERE.

OK ,so  I missed an r in "Darryl".  Ron, I can't open your red-x shots either, from right-click or double-click.  Any ideas?

The lower picture looks like someone owns a small mountain goat!
Glad you had a great time. Sore hip flexor kept me from going on another tour.
Good report.
Joe

Chugach here using Scottie's sign-in. It's hard typing with paws but here's my take on the day.
It was good. I had a pee at the trailhead against a new volkswagon passat and then I jumped into Sidnie's car and dirtyed her seat with my muddy paws.  ;DThat poodle Lucy sure smelt good. ;D
I managed to take out one skier, Telemack with a body charge and I always choose the telematkers as they are so much easier to knock over!! haha woof woof. ;) ;)
I smelled Lucy again and then got some food from Jerry but it was hard work and took me about 2 minutes of staring to get it!
That fool owner of mine, Scottie drove me home and I've chewed up one of his gloves since he's such a geek.

Hey Tasker and Lucy let's do this again soon!

That Secret stash near the NE corner of MRNP sure has the goods. Sunny there again whilst rain was pouring forth at snoqualmie pass. Nice pics. It must be nice to have your own poodle dog to "poodle dog" the slopes.  :)

author=Scotsman link=topic=6520.msg26761#msg26761 date=1174319297]
That poodle Lucy sure smelt good.

Chugach, your typing and spelling skills are almost as good as your ascent/descent skills.

It looked like you thought Ron smelt better than Lucy.  Maybe not!

Great tour!

Darryl,
          Chugach here again. Yea, I liked that guy RONJ aswell. He has a lot of hair and found my sweet spot when he was scratching me behind my ears ;D
You where the other telemarker right! I'll get you next time ;D

Looks like Jerry is doing his best Bob McKenzie "Strange Brew" impression in the first photo with the pooch.  I think I sense a "like, take off hoser!" in the air.

Ah, we doggies: such ice-breakers.  This is elder stateswoman Taska here. 
Telemack is permanently logged on so it's easy to reply, even w/o thumbs.
Had 3 great runs and lots of fattening snacks from those sucka TAY-ers. 
But BOY AM I SORE TODAY! I'm getting a bit old for this and think Mack ought to take me out for more training walks.  And to think I used to carry some of his rock shoes and draws in my doggie pack.... 8)

Mis Amis
Ok, Lucille (aka ovrthhills' alter ego) here.  I can type just fine because I just had a poodicure at the groomer.  I was going for the mountain goat look but was definitely overdressed for the conditions.  Its all about being seen and smelling good. wuff wuff oui oui 8) Time to shed some winter layers. Thanks everyone for behaving so well and taking so many pictures of moi.

Au Revoir
Lucille (aka Powder Poodle)

author=Scotsman link=topic=6520.msg26761#msg26761 date=1174319297">That fool owner of mine, Scottie drove me home and I've chewed up one of his gloves since he's such a geek.
   I've been experimenting with Powerpoint to Flash slideshows, Here is my take on a great day!    BTW Scottie are you sure he chewed up your glove maybe it's still in your pants! ::)  (photo #2)......Dogapalooza 2007

Great pictures, Jer.

Now I think I know why it is not uncommon to see Scottie touring with only one gloved hand.

You know he may be "trolling" in the wrong venue, eh?  ::)

Oh he's a sick puppy allright 8)

Reply to this TR

march-18-2007-bullion-point-6479
telemack
2007-03-18 19:49:59