Home > Trip Reports > March 17, 2007, Moonlight Basis - Steven's Pass

March 17, 2007, Moonlight Basis - Steven's Pass

3/17/07
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by jdclimber on 3/18/07 2:49am
Met up with Double E and did one short lap on Moonlight Basin in remarkable heat before a broken binding and then rain foreshortened the day.
Dug a pit, in short, a pretty safe slope, pit data can be found here at my blog: http://cascadesnowgeek.blogspot.com/
I am a bit bummed out, Jan 21st 2007, I chose Crystal Slackcoutry for skiing and "pit pigging" and all the interesting  avalanche stuff happened at Steven's. So now, two months later I choose Steven's and all the interesting avalanche stuff happens at Crystal.
At this rate, I figure so long as I keep looking for trouble, I will be a very safe person to ski with.  8)
What up w/ the binding mishap?  What make and where was the break?

It was a first Gen Targa Ascent. They have since beefed them up, my replacements are already in the mail. It was a tear in the toe plate, directly underfoot. I got these bindings as soon as they came out last spring, sometimes being an early adopter is not such a good thing.....
Working with G3 has been great though, as I had the other foot blow apart in the same way in Feb in the Tetons and they got right on em and kept me skiing.
Guess I need to learn to butter my turns a bit better.

Or slow down; I remember you railing in the crud last Dec. in Bullion. 
G3 gave me great service, too, w/a jammed up cartridge. 

Good times, for sure, while they lasted... bummer about the binding. 

Was also good to learn a few more things about snow, see some of the stuff that my two Avy One classes had talked about but never done in their field trips. 

Coupla pics: 

Reply to this TR

march-17-2007-moonlight-basis-steven-s-pass
jdclimber
2007-03-18 09:49:14