Home > Trip Reports > March 15, 2007, Rampart Ridge

March 15, 2007, Rampart Ridge

3/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Aaron_Riggs on 3/16/07 4:14am
Like Baldwin reported from Snoq Mtn, we found pretty good snow conditions at Snoqualmie Pass yesterday. We considered the slot, but Jason, Adam and I went for this line on Rampart Ridge instead. Adam and I skied the lower half last year but turned around due to low visiblity and avi conditions, and Jason and Adam have twice made it to the upper snowfield, but headed out for similar reasons. We found 2-4 inches of new light snow throughout--with deeper windblown pockets. One of those pockets slid below Adam, a loose snow teardrop that picked up and ran down 300-400 feet. Not enough to bury someone but it could carry you into a terrain trap. This is a fun line. Back at the car we added up great things about this ski trip.
Short approach
Steep, to the point climb through big trees.
Summit that you can ski off
Unique views of Snoqualmie Pass.
Steep (40-50 degree) skiing for 2,500 feet on even fall line
Challenging and varying terrain
4 hour tour
I've tried this route three times by three route and never connected the Funnel with the upper snowfield due to spooky snow and that slide for life below the funnel - so excellent show! 

I think the only thing keeping this as a more popular destination (other than the certain death if the upper snowfield slides on you, as mentioned above, and you get thrown over the cliff below the Funnel - not a place for rookie snow evaluation), is the parking at the road end is SNo Park only, and only those willing to gamble and park anyway (ahem) or those willing to shell out cash to park get easy access.  Otherwise it's a slog to free parking.

Aaron, you have a great eye for the lines of Snoq -Pass!

Thanks, MW88888888. We'll have to go back up there together sometime. I never though about the parking as we always had a pass, but I guess you are right about the access. BTW, if you look carefully at my 3rd picture, you can see 3 boarders launching the cornices on Granite! Nice!

Reply to this TR

march-15-2007-rampart-ridge
Aaron_Riggs
2007-03-16 11:14:46