Home > Trip Reports > March 12, 2007, Eastern Sierra Snow Status

March 12, 2007, Eastern Sierra Snow Status

3/12/07
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 3/12/07 4:50am
Jill and I usually spend April and May touring in the Eastern Sierra but it may not happen this season.  We arrived in Bishop on Thursday, March 8 and the snow pack south of Bishop is very low.  We planned to drive up Onion Valley road and up Glacier View but the views from highway 395 indicated that it would be wasted fuel.  We chatted with the folks at Wilsons in Bishop and they confirmed the low snow pack.  They also mentioned that they would not be touring at this time. With the trout opener still a month away, some of the higher elevation roads are still closed. 

We drove north and downhill skied at Mammoth and had good coverage and spring conditions.  Here€™s what it looks like near Mammoth. The Sherwins have very, very low coverage.  I€™ve never seen it so sparse at this time.  There were a few old tracks but these may be desperate skiers who enjoy the thousands of short trees as a slalom course.  Convict Lake area and Little Morrison and beyond is quite bare. McGee Mountain right next to highway 395 €“ forget it. We drove the 6 miles up Rock Creek Canyon to the Sno Park where the road is closed/snow covered.  No skiing up to the snow park and beyond looks dismal. June Lake ski area closed on January 28 due to insufficient snow.  Major peaks around June Lake are quite bare and rocky. Virginia Lakes road is closed at the usual place but there is a plowed lane for locals/cabin owners for an undetermined distance.  The view from highway 395 north of Conway Summit indicates a shallow snow pack.  The view of the Sawtooths and Glacier Crest from Bridgeport looked low on snow.  Although things can change quickly in the Sierra, it sure does not look very encouraging for spring touring from Bridgeport south to Whitney Portal this season.

Zap
Howdy Zap & Jill,
We're almost as disappointed as you - since we were looking forward to the stream of wonderful 'spring in the Sierra' reports we've come to expect from you! But you're in luck if you return early.  Ron J stumbled on the proverbial eye in the middle of the storm - blue sky and corn in the south cascades!  As of today, the water is literally pouring out of the mountains - the Snoqualmie's are running brown and high, and every crack and fissure is pouring water.  The falls beneath the saddle between Mt Snoqualmie & Guye peak looked like Niagra this morning.  But the snowlevel is supposed to drop, and bliss will return to the rest of us.
Bests, Gerry & Linda

Hey Zap:

I think Paula and I got the goods in that Feb storm.  By the sounds of it I think you need a fire extinguisher down there instead of avy gear.

D

Nice to hear of your  travels, Zap.
Keep it up.  We'll still have plenty of summer corn for you when you get back.
We're stockpiling a bunch of it in MRNP for you... no one else can ski on it!!  ;)

Reply to this TR

march-12-2007-eastern-sierra-snow-status
Zap
2007-03-12 11:50:41