Home > Trip Reports > March 11, 2007, a Secret, Cascade Crest, Stash

March 11, 2007, a Secret, Cascade Crest, Stash

3/11/07
Posted by ron j on 3/11/07 1:27pm
What with the forecast for torrential rains and gale force winds in the mountains, the geriatric patrol opted for a little known €œbanana belt€ secret stash that I can only tell you is outside the NE corner of MRNP. 

Some of you that are intimately familiar with every nook and cranny of the south cascades may figure out where we were from some of the pictures.
We€™d love to share this killer destination with the rest of you, but unfortunately, if we did it would be overrun with skiers in no time.  It€™s such a great place for skiing and has such a great micro-climate, we just can€™t bring ourselves to give it up yet. 

Maureen, MadDog, Darryl and yours truly secreted our way to this gem of backcountry ski bliss today in search of relief from the forecast inhospitable weather.

Our suspicions were confirmed. While donning boots and skis we waffled on whether we needed rain shells or not. We all ended up beginning our climb with shells, mainly in expectation of rain from dark clouds looming in the southwest.  But the micro climate held, and all the ugly clouds broke around us.  With temps in the low 50€™s (but with the wind chill, it was more like 65) by the time we were half way up our intended climb, most of us were in shirtsleeves and mostly sunny skies.

This great stash produced the goods for us again. We never saw even one other skier, either going up or coming back down.  During the climb our evaluations revealed a well consolidated snow pack and it became quite evident that further evaluation would be unnecessary.  All the lines we intended to ski were rock solid, regardless of pitch or aspect.
We were giddy with anticipation knowing the ski down was going to rock.  We had a solid base with about two inches of corn snow to carve on top.

We were sure things couldn€™t get any better€¦ but they did. 
When we got to the top of our climb we found that someone had set up an electronic practice beacon course and left it all in place, including practice probes, to probe the buried targets with.  So we went though a few practice cycles just to get all our search times back down to below two minutes. 

Thanks guys, a great facility.

After a leisurely lunch we pulled skins and had a great ski down, still without running into even one other skier.

What a great day.  To our surprise we all stayed dry as a bone and skied right to the car on silky smooth preseason summer corn.  The last time we did this tour was last April but we saw more people on that one. 

We may have to give this GEM up soon, as it wouldn€™t surprise me if someone might try to turn it into a ski area soon.  It certainly has all the right features.

More pictures here.

Unreal Ron!
way to go!
(looking forward to repeating this tour in April again this year!)

Ron et al, nice call on the weather window.  By the way, I can't see any of your 3 inline pics, I just see broken image [?] symbols.

I decided to check the telemetry and compare the two WA ski areas that were closed today because of forecast heavy rain. I think the difference between them (and your luck with the weather window, both in time and space) is pretty amazing.  John Kircher and his people must be kicking themselves for deciding to close and having it totally backfire.

author=Amar Andalkar link=topic=6476.msg26543#msg26543 date=1173687110]
... I think the difference between them (and your luck with the weather window, both in time and space) is pretty amazing.  John Kircher and his people must be kicking themselves for deciding to close and having it totally backfire.

That difference really is amazing, Amar.  Actually I was feeling pretty sorry for the Crystal management yesterday.  The weather was fantastic below the ridge.  I doubt if even one skier would have asked for a refund had they been open.  A shame.

... By the way, I can't see any of your 3 inline pics, I just see broken image [?] symbols.

I think they will appear if you right click on the red x and then click "show picture" (you may need to go to the pictures first and then come back).  Try it, if you would, and let me know if that works.  I'm in a constant state of befuddlement over this picture thing.

I'm starting to get really spoiled  ;), last week, skiing wonderful snow inbounds at White Pass, this week Crystal, in bounds CLOSED, was more of the best.  We had such a fantastic time yesterday, you would have thought it was our own private ski area ;D.  When you think about that, it really was ;D.  What an awesome day  :).

Just wondering if you bother skiing anything but the groomers ;).  I took a quiet day of yard work, dog walks, and meal preparations.  I heard Scotsman was still convalescing from his chickenhead strike.

Nope - right click "show picture" step just leaves me with red x's still.

Man - if they were a New England ski area, they'd be laughed out of the region for having closed for a predicted rain event!

author=ron j link=topic=6476.msg26539#msg26539 date=1173673651]
To our surprise we all stayed dry as a bone ...   

I wasn't dry as a bone!!!  With a wind chill of 65, I was sweating like a horse.

What a great idea it was to change the reader board at the Greenwater fire department to state that Crystal Mountain was closed!!

RonJ, you wily old fox! 8) You know I was sitting at home on Sunday and said to Stewie," lets go skin up Crystal " but we couldn't motivate ourselves. You don't just talk about it , you do it. ;D Puts the rest of us to shame! :-[
Well done mate!

author=ron j link=topic=6476.msg26546#msg26546 date=1173708667]
I think they will appear if you right click on the red x and then click "show picture" (you may need to go to the pictures first and then come back). Try it, if you would, and let me know if that works.  I'm in a constant state of befuddlement over this picture thing.

Well, I'm using Mac OS X and both the Safari (mostly) and Firefox browsers. In Firefox, I see no evidence of your inline photos at all--nothing! I wouldn't even know you had placed any inline images. In Safari, at least I get little square [?] logos where the photos should be. If I right click (or control-click) on them, the popup menu includes commands to "Open Image in New Window" and "Open Image in New Tab". Selecting the first gives a new window with the title "403 Forbidden" and the text:

Google  Error
    Forbidden
    Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server.

The lengthy URL is shown in the address bar, e.g "http://lh5.google.com/image/ron.jarvis/RfTKpPp8PkI/AAAAAAAABDE/S-SjiPoryRI/DSC04969.JPG?imgmax=512", but no picture is displayed. If instead I select Open Image in New Tab, I get a blank tab (with no error message) and the photo spontaneously downloads to my computer and opens in Preview.

I'm not sure if there are any settings in Picasa that might affect this.

Three of us were nearby on the 10th trying to get the goods before the storm. Had great luck on south backcountry loop with up to 4 inches of wet new on four summit hills. Exited off Bullion Peak and out the basin. Only saw tracks near the very end. Lots of interesting black clouds threatening all day. Would like to hear from a Baker bc from the 11th since that lift service was closed as well but over 4" of rain would have been lots of "fun".
Someone needs to get Darryl some sunglasses. You Danes are certainly a stubborn lot.
Ron, I have same problems with the unopenable x's.
One of our party's ancient emory's finally gave out and we introduced her to the magic of dynafit as got to Marmot before Sat closing and she did the whole big purchase (some good sale prices) right then.

Great tr ronj.  Looks like the gang had a good time and lucked out with the weather.  Reminds me of ya never know unless ya go.

I couldn't resist.
John Kircher and his people must be kicking themselves for deciding to close and having it totally backfire.

Yeah missing out on all the sales from concessions.  Sucker!

Mother Nature - 1
Crystal Management - ZERO

Ron et al, nice call on the weather window.  By the way, I can't see any of your 3 inline pics, I just see broken image [?] symbols.

Amar, I have the same trouble with the photos, seeing a box with a red x in it.  What I have to do is right click on the box with the red x, click on properties, highlight the WHOLE photo URL, open a new browser, then paste the photo URL into the new browser address bar and hit enter, which then prompts an "open" dialog box, then chech yes and hit enter.  The photo shows up for me in the new browser, also then when you go back to the TR  the photo should be there.  At least that is what works for me.  I'm sure there are more computer savy people that would know a much easier way, if so it might be nice to start a new thread in Random tracks since this issue isn't really a TR.  If all else fails, just click on the Picasa site link and you'll be able to see all of those great ski photos anyway. 

Did I remember to say that it was a stellar day on the mountain ;D.

author=Amar Andalkar link=topic=6476.msg26559#msg26559 date=1173723374]
I'm using Mac OS X and both the Safari (mostly) and Firefox browsers. In Firefox, I see no evidence of your inline photos at all--nothing!

Amar, I also use Mac OS X and both browsers do get the pictures.
Nice shots! Looked like a great day!
Your secrets good with me!
Joe

I no see pictures with Firefox in Linux.  I also missed whatever clues revealed the location as Crystal.  No soup for me!

author=skykilo link=topic=6476.msg26574#msg26574 date=1173742435">
I also missed whatever clues revealed the location as Crystal.  No soup for me!

Uh, Sky, you have to follow Ron's link:  "More pictures HERE".

I'll tell no one...  Way to go get it!

Damn ,I knew I should have left the couch....nice work 8)

Many thanks to those of you that have taken the time to post your results to my efforts to include pictures in the original post of this thread.

It has always been a mystery to me why the pictures appear for some but not all.  I don't have any background or training in computers so I'm somewhat ill equipped to trouble shoot such matters and the inability to duplicate the problem on my own machine certainly exacerbates the dilemma. 

Nonetheless, the apparent randomness of this phenomenon leads me to suspect some sort of difference in settings in viewer browsers.

In pursuing that angle further I have come up with this:

"Why am I getting a "page cannot be displayed" error?

The, "page cannot be displayed" error is caused by having automatic detection of proxy settings check in your browser. To fix the problem, please follow the steps below:

Using Internet Explorer:
Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings -> uncheck "automatically detect proxy settings"

Using Firefox:
Tools -> Options -> General -> Connection settings -> uncheck "auto-detect proxy settings for this network"

Please restart your computer and try posting to your blog. If this fails to fix the problem, please let us know."

If, when you get a moment, some of you that have been unable to view the embedded pics in the first post, would try changing the setting in your browser as described above and post back with the results I would appreciate it.

If we could solve this pesky dilemma we could even include it in the "TAY tools" section for those that come behind us    ;)

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Reply to this TR

march-11-2007-a-secret-cascade-crest-stash
ron j
2007-03-11 20:27:31