Home > Trip Reports > March 9, 2007, Mt. Snoq. Snow Dome 6160+

March 9, 2007, Mt. Snoq. Snow Dome 6160+

3/9/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 3/9/07 10:05am
Skied up Commonwealth Creek today with Margy and Pico.  Quick synopsis of conditions: 6 to 8 inches on a firm crust above 4200 ft.  Went straight up below the Lundin Pk. couloir then turned left to Lundin/Snoqualmie saddle.  Then took the crest to the highpoint (snow dome I think I heard it called) just east of the Mt. Snoqualmie summit.  Morning sun saturated the snow on south aspects.  Pinwheels began to run in earnest below trees and rocks.  We still found some snow to ski that hadn't been littered with debris from today but at times had frozen chicken heads beneath from last weeks' warm up.   On slopes above 35 degrees we set off a couple slow wet slides on the crust as on the last photo.  Below 4200 feet we sank in below the crust, though the ski out was mostly still fun. 
But the north slopes below the ridgecrest down toward the Middle Fork Snoqualmie drainage stayed cold and powdery.  We were a bit too concerned about wind slab to do a short run off the north side.  Could it be reached early enough tomorrow to not yet be affected by the predicted Pineapple Express?  Probably worth trying for the Crooked Couloir or other north aspects, early.  A great day to be out with good views toward the Chimney Rock group.
Looks like you did all right with conditions, if I hadn't been trying to get the OWA on our Exchange server recovered from the DST patch, I'd have been able to go too.  Oh well, job security.  Hope the weather window holds tomorrow.

Thanks for the post John.  Good info to contemplate for tomorrow.

Reply to this TR

march-9-2007-mt-snoq-snow-dome-6160
John Morrow
2007-03-09 18:05:31