Home > Trip Reports > March 6, 2007, Chair Peak circumnavigation

March 6, 2007, Chair Peak circumnavigation

3/6/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Scotsman on 3/7/07 3:30am
Not knowing the Alpental Bc that well, two friends, Sidnie and Blitz and I hired Martin Volken for a day's touring.
Our intention was to ski Kaleetan peak and we met Martin at the Alpental lot at 7.00 am.
It was warm with low mist when we set off at about 7.30 am.

By the time we reached the cliffs below Bryant Peak at the start of the steep traverse to the Bryant col, the sun was shining and temps rising fast. Martin was concerned about ice bombs from the cliffs above so we fast paced it to the top of the col in very nasty snow.

From the col down to the Melakla lakes the skiing was on either breakable crust, frozen avalanche debris or icy slide bed surfaces. It was not pretty but we managed down. I took a bad fall when crossing one of the frozen avalanche piles and fell onto a frozen chickenhead with my side.I spent the rest of the tour in considerable pain but tried not to make a big deal of it so as to not affect everybody's tour.

At  the lake, Martin changed our objective from Kaleetan to a tour around Chair peak as conditions where way too warm and there was a big, droopy cornice in the couloir leading to the Kaleetan face.

We toured up to the next col and then skied down to Chair peak lake then back up to another col and down to Snow lake. The snow was very challenging.
Across the lake and up to the Snow lake divide , then down to Source lake. This was probbaly the best snow, very wet, very heavy but at least you could link some turns.

We where back at the car by, I think 2.30 Pm and then I drove as fast as I could to the gas station to buy some cigarettes and ibuprofen. After 4 ibuprofen and a nice smoke, I drove the ladies home while they drank beer and talked about european shoes! :D ??? ???
Very sore today, but I really enjoyed the tour, the views where incredible, the ladies very tough and Martin a great guide. :D

[Edit: fixed title]
Hey Chris - Where you at Crystal on Saturday? If so, I think I parked right next to you. I didn't notice until I was leaving my car - I recognized the truck and sig. I was the gray Honda CR-V (I downgraded cars recently)

Yep, I was there Jeff. If it was a big white truck with a camper shell that was me.

Martin and Blitz took pictures , so if they read this, post some pics please as it was a very spectacular day, view wise.
thanks

Hey chicken-head Chris, that's my new name for you...chicken-head Chris ;D  Well at least for this reply.

Sounds like you all had a grinder of a tour, but a tour nonetheless and that is always a good thing.  Also a good thing to be with a guide who is wise enough to change plans when things are looking questionable.  That Mr. Volken has his act together.

I guess the "my name is Chris and I'm an ex-smoker" thing is off for now ???  Perhaps another day.  Remember last year at Chrystal when you ran out of smokes and we scurried around looking for a fix... were we even able to find them in Greenwater?

Thanks for the post and heal up quickly so you can get out there and gather more material to share with us.

author=Scotsman link=topic=6446.msg26438#msg26438 date=1173301948]
Yep, I was there Jeff. If it was a big white truck with a camper shell that was me.

I parked right next to you! What a small world.

JibberD,
              I resemble that remark! You shall pay when you get back from Germany. I will take you on a tour and I will leave my cigs in the car and you can try and keep up as I skin like a Slovenian  in F1's and spandex back to car in a nicotine starved fit!

Jeff Huber,
                Sorry we didn't introduce ourselves, I would love to ski with you one day.

Hope to get some pictures posted tonight!

Where, exactly, was the "droopy cornice"? Can you get above it by following the ridge from Melakwa lake?

If it's the one that I think it is, then yes you could, trumpetsailor.  Perhaps one of the tour party will confirm or deny this claim.

author=Scotsman link=topic=6446.msg26444#msg26444 date=1173313003]
Jeff Huber,
Sorry we didn't introduce ourselves, I would love to ski with you one day

Ah - you mean one day again. Just in case the TAY vortex is causing you to loss your mind (which happens to me on occasion) - we did ski together before . . .  (which is how I recognized your truck)

PS: Taiya moved away from Skagway to Anchorage  :)

Chris,
Thanks for toughening my wife up while I languish at home with my arm in a sling. Here are a couple of pictures from the "triple ibuprofen tour". 

Sidnie and Blitz                                                     Blitz and Scotsman aka Chicken Head Chris

Sounds like someone shoulda paid YOU for the tour!  ;)  Hey, Scottie, I'm not skiing this weekend.  Several things going on (all good) and the rain sounds icky anyway.  Sorry to be such a heretic.

Even if the skiing wasn't great the sceenery was out of this world!  I havent gotten pics downloaded yet.

Mr Volken is a serious steward of the wilderness, I like his politics.  His fund raiser for Northwest Avalanche Center is coming up next weekend.

I cant recall a trip where Chris doesnt run out of cigs and need to rush off to the store (fastest car packer I ever saw).

Sounds like a fun trip and a good call to hire Martin Volken to help you make the tour the best that it could be, given the conditions.  His reputation as the region's best mountain guide is becoming legendary and he's building up a huge karma bank account with the backcountry ski community in the region.

Hope your "chicken head" injury recovers quickly, Scottie ;)

author=ovrthhills link=topic=6446.msg26455#msg26455 date=1173332910]
Chris,
Thanks for toughening my wife up while I languish at home with my arm in a sling. Here are a couple of pictures from the "triple ibuprofen tour". 

Thanks for posting the pictures Michael. I'm beginning to think you put the voodoo on me just because you are stuck at home with a skiing injury. There's not a doll with skis on and a pin in it's side in your house is there? Both ladies where tough enough already!

author=Jeff Huber link=topic=6446.msg26450#msg26450 date=1173324347]
Ah - you mean one day again. Just in case the TAY vortex is causing you to loss your mind (which happens to me on occasion) - we did ski together before . .

Jeff how clumsy of me.  :-[Of course I remember now. Shasta two years ago when I was Silas Wild's driver for the weekend.  :DThat was a great trip.

Reply to this TR

march-6-2007-chair-peak-circumnavigation
Scotsman
2007-03-07 11:30:36