Cascade Snowfall and Snowdepth

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Apr 2003 10:42 #168257 by Amar Andalkar
Cascade Snowfall and Snowdepth was created by Amar Andalkar
Hi folks,<br><br>Sorry to toot my own horn, but I have completed an analysis of Cascade snowfall and snowdepths for the current season, which may be useful or interesting for some of you. It covers the entire length of the range from southwestern BC to northern California. Sort of like a greatly expanded version of the NWAC snowdepth summaries, just in time for the spring and summer ski mountaineering season to really kick into gear. See my website at<br> www.skimountaineer.com/ <br><br>One page has historical snowfall and snowdepth info for the Cascades, while a second page has a monthly summary of snowdepths during the 2002-2003 season. The gist for this year: most of the Cascades are now near-normal for snowpack, but southwestern BC is above normal and northern California is enjoying a HUGE snow year. This will be a great spring to ski Shasta or Lassen, which are two of the finest ski mountains in the entire Cascades.<br><br>Amar<br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2003 12:13 #168258 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Cascade Snowfall and Snowdepth
Great info, Amar.<br>Thanks!!

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
23 Apr 2003 21:47 #168259 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Cascade Snowfall and Snowdepth
Amar- I have enjoyed your site for a couple of years now. Thanks for all the hard work you have put in.

• ski_photomatt
  • [ski_photomatt]
More
28 Apr 2003 05:52 #168262 by ski_photomatt
Replied by ski_photomatt on topic Re: Cascade Snowfall and Snowdepth
Amar and others,<br><br>I dunno what your schedule is like, but this week's UW Atmospheric Sciences Department Colloquium (Thursday, 3:30pm, Mary Gates Hall 241, see www.atmos.washington.edu/events/ ) is about the longer trends in Pacific Northwest snowpack. I've seen an earlier version of the talk, and from what I remember it says, among other things, (1) snowpack depths have been decreasing and (2) there are two obvious explanations: a decrease in precipitation or an increase in temperature. Which, if any, of these is dominant? Talks are always free and open to the public. Your site is very nice Amar, thanks for all the time you've spent developing it.<br><br>Matt