Home > Trip Reports > February 28, 2007, Jim Hill Mountain, Stevens

February 28, 2007, Jim Hill Mountain, Stevens

2/28/07
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Charles on 2/28/07 1:24pm
Very very nice powder, all the way down into the forest below 4000 feet. Thanks to Joecat and friends who set a great skin track yesterday!. The sun stayed mostly obscured by snow showers, and the temp up in the bowl didn't seem to get above about 20 degrees. The wind picked up in the afternoon and there was quite a bit of transport going on above treeline (~5600'). Our uptrack was filled in each time we went back up, and there was some cohesion developing in the upper few inches, but the snow still skied beautifully. There were signs of some recent slides in the upper bowl, so we topped out around 6200' for each run. Saw a lone skier who seemed to come up from Lanham Lake but went out Henry Creek. One big negative: the usual parking area along Hwy 2 now has big signs saying no parking, you will be towed, area under video surveillance. We parked on a plowed side road a tiny bit to the west, good to have 4WD to get back up the hill to the highway. I took a lot of photos but am too tired to deal with them right now.
Hi Charles,

Are you saying that the entire ventilator pull out is now off limits to parking?

Does anyone know what the situation is and why?

Any enlightenment on the situation would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Yes, the entire ventilator pull out is marked with these signs. Because they mentioned towing, we didin't feel very comfortable parking there. If this is some kind of security concern, it's a little ironic that the road we used for parking seemed to lead right to the "back side" of the ventilator area, but there were no signs restricting parking there. I was intent on looking into this after our trip but then got sick. Maybe state highway patrol would be a place to start the inquiry - if I get any info I will post it. I did remember that there was a similar situation a while back and found the info in a TR from about 4 years ago:
code red parking restrictions.

If you get any info on this please post as well.

author=John_Morrow link=topic=6395.msg26489#msg26489 date=1173453273">
Hi Charles,

Are you saying that the entire ventilator pull out is now off limits to parking?

Does anyone know what the situation is and why?

Any enlightenment on the situation would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
John

More info on the parking from WSDOT

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=6484.0

Reply to this TR

february-28-2007-jim-hill-mountain-stevens
Charles
2007-02-28 21:24:30