Home > Forum > 2-24 Crystal

2-24 Crystal

• alpymarr
  • [alpymarr]
More
24 Feb 2007 21:12 #212873 by alpymarr
2-24 Crystal was created by alpymarr
UNBELIEVABLE. Utah conditions today sans sunshine. The deepest lightest powder I have EVER seen here in WA made for quite possibly the best day of skiing ever. Skinned up quicksilver lift last night and set up camp in the Southback just past the lift. Snowed hard all night and awoke to about a foot of the heavenly powder. Powder for breakfast as we skiied Quicksilver in the freshies pre-opening. Really nice way to start the day with one constant face shot. Paid tons of money, bought a coffee and hit up Exterminator for more of the same goodness. Then Bear Pits in perfect conditions sending waves of pow over my head, into my mouth, in my ears......yeah. The snow was so light and perfect everywhere and in places litterally chest deep, easily washing over me in huge clouds and rooster tails. One of those days where you can only see the tip of your buddies ski pole sticking out of a massive cloud of coldsmoke. Broke trail up to Throne Chutes for virgin tracks for more face deep lines. Heard of an avy fatality. Anyone know more about that? Bottom line.....I think this is what dreams are made of...at least for me. Go get it, there is plenty left, especially when the S. BC opens. Crystal did a good job of getting everything open today, except for the Southback, which is completely understandable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• philfort
  • [philfort]
More
25 Feb 2007 06:37 #212876 by philfort
Replied by philfort on topic Re: 2-24 Crystal
I think that was the best snow I've ever skied at a resort. Can't complain when you can still find over-the-head face shots at 3:30 in bounds! :)

• Ned_Flanders
  • [Ned_Flanders]
More
25 Feb 2007 15:38 #212883 by Ned_Flanders
Replied by Ned_Flanders on topic Re: 2-24 Crystal

I think that was the best snow I've ever skied at a resort. Can't complain when you can still find over-the-head face shots at 3:30 in bounds! :)

Agreed, the best resort skiing I have ever done. Lapping North Backcountry and Green Valley and still had over-the-head face shots and chest deep powder until skiing the parking lot to find our car.

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
26 Feb 2007 10:04 #212886 by androolus
Replied by androolus on topic Re: 2-24 Crystal
Yes, this was an epic day. Glad, I brought my avy gear, and glad I didn't have to use it.

I finally figured out that I need to breath in between turns and out during the turn to avoid inhalation of and choking upon mass quantities of powder. Woohoo!!!

Powder bowl seemed wind effected. Found the best & deepest pow on north facing slopes in the north backcountry, but man that I-5 is a leg burner.

We heard that the person who died was skiing kemper's down to 410. There is of course a big sign on the high cambell chair saying it is permanently closed. We rode up the chair with a ski patrol who said there was a "code 2". I guess that means a fatality. The ski patrol sure was working hard, bombs going off every 15 minutes or so.

• bcpinhead
  • [bcpinhead]
More
26 Feb 2007 12:59 #212887 by bcpinhead
Replied by bcpinhead on topic Re: 2-24 Crystal
Friday was as close as I have ever seen to my good ole home, Alta, Utah!!!!!!

I am assuming this is not normal here...

It was SICK!!!!

I hope this is the new trend here in the PNW.

Bry