Home > Trip Reports > February 24, 2007, Yodelin

February 24, 2007, Yodelin

2/24/07
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Don_B on 2/24/07 12:10pm
4 skiers and Tex the dog enjoyed deep powder at Yodelin with plenty of company.  Probably about 30-35  skiers and boarders in the area. We were cautious going up due to avy forecast, but did not experience or see any sliding, with quite a few tracks and a good skin track already laid. Poles went in 18 inches most places before hitting the underlying firm crust. It was fairly light but fast powder, and felt like it was getting uniformly denser toward the crust. North slopes. Best snow this season.  :D  Snowed lightly all day. Not much wind on this east side of the crest, compared to west side and right at Stevens Pass. We skied through steep trees first and then open moderate slopes on later laps. The only casualty was Kimber's left ski. Two G3 binding toe peice screws pulled out from the top sheet. She must have been having too much fun. Duct tape first aid allowed a slower ski out.  Maybe K & G will add photos.
I was up there too with a group of 4. Amazing the number of people. All seemed nice though....
As to the avy conditions, I expected worse, no real slabs (It was treed though). Good bond between the old January snow and all the glorious new fresh stuff we have gotten this week.
I dug a pit near the top in a bit of a clearing. Pit details can be found here.
http://cascadesnowgeek.blogspot.com/

At 10 pm, Tex the dog is passed out on the couch, after a day of "swimming" in the powder at Yodelin. 

I was also up there today with a group of 7 and wow!  wow! wow!  What awesome pow!  Definitely a nice treat after all the recent nastiness.  Yep,yep,yep.  By the end of the day yodelin was closing resembling a lift served ski resort with all the tracks in the trees. 

Yup, I concur.  Maaaahvelous powder yesterday!  I was actually glad to see so many others out there enjoying it too.  There was plenty to go around and we had fresh tracks on every run.

Thanks to TAY! Had a GREAT day gulping powder with mtn_mama, jersan and lindalc. None of us had met before we got together through TAY and had a terrific time together. Due to NWAC forcast of high avalanche conditions we opted for Yodelin and stayed in the big trees. There were ALOT of people but no shortage of snow. Definately the best of the year for me! ;D

I dunno, that snow really wasn't all that great  ;)  In fact, it was so bad we couldn't resist lapping the runs for a total of about 5k vertical ft... 8)
(additional photos posted here)

Has anyone seen my skis?

All I saw were the tips on the runs through the trees.

Nice photos all...

Mr. Cass, is that JW I see in a few of those shots skiing north of Snoqualmie Pass?  The world is truly mixed-up this year ;D

oh, i'm soooo jealous of all you all...that looks so good!  here's to hoping you have a couple more months of winter, so i can get some the next time i'm out that way!  ;)

cascadesfreak, great pix of a great day! Nice to see so many TAY replies from the groups who were crossing paths out there. 

Took me awhile to respond, but that was an incredible weekend. Jen and I were there on both days and skied over 9k of untracked powder in the trees! Great skiing with Cass and Justin on Saturday and then on Sunday we led our first Mountaineers trip...it was really a good time!  Here is a slide show of both days ....Yodelin Tours....enjoy ....Jerry   PS Allyson we miss you!

nice slide show, jw!!  keep that winter coming out there!!  ;)

Reply to this TR

february-24-2007-yodelin
Don_B
2007-02-24 20:10:57