Home > Trip Reports > Saturday, Feb 17, Artist Point

Saturday, Feb 17, Artist Point

2/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by telemack on 2/19/07 9:41pm
As the blue sky faded to high clouds, Telemon and I met up at the Baker Mountaineers Lodge and headed up to sample the old snow.  There was plenty but it sure was old:  A light crust, firmer breakable layer 2-3" down and then 1-1/2'  of wet cement made for some o' the worst turning I can remember.   We did 400 feet below Table Mountain and then decided to save the knees.  One more short drop off Huntoon Point was better but still unbearable.  It was actuallly a relief to get on the road and ski runs, and only deal with ice and frozen snowshoe holes.  At least the views were fine, and it should be stable as underlayers.

By Sunday morning all that had changed completely......
Hey Tmack,  I love the fact that you're posting now.  I like your reports.  When we first met a couple years back in Mazama Bowl you described yourself as a "TAY Lurker"

Better to give than receive, it is.

So how about posting a few pics here and there?  Maybe you and Scotsman can pool your resources and get a Kodak or something ;D

If you haven't already seen them JibberD, you can find a few photos on my post from the same day. (Table Mountain , Feb.17) Since Telemack didn't take any pictures, I might throw a couple more of my shots onto this post.

Mack, it was nice to share a few runs with you on Mon.  Yeah, the condition had changed completely for better!

BTW, the funny noise from my skis turned out to be broken binding.  My G3 ascent's upper base plates just sheared at screw holes.  No wonder it was a bit hard to ski hardpack.

JibberD:  we have a digital camera but lost the computer interface when we moved.  I like to write anyway, so thanks for the encouragement.  You are missing a fat season!

Kenji:  bad scene on the binding, hope it made it through the day.  Makes me glad I bought the beefier 01s.  I get a funny loose-wire type rattle under my rear, flexed foot when I rail on hard pack, but I don't think anything is going.
Indeed it was fun blind pow-ing, hope Amy had a good day too.  I'm going to Stevens this Sat. and Lisa, my son and I are planning on the Crystal Vertfest Sat. 3/4.  See you, I hope.

Reply to this TR

saturday-feb-17-artist-point
telemack
2007-02-20 05:41:56