Home > Trip Reports > February 17, 2007, Mary Pk, Teanaways

February 17, 2007, Mary Pk, Teanaways

2/17/07
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Boot on 2/18/07 11:54am
Warm, bluebird day in the Teanaways  8) with more snow than I expected.  N-NE slopes had some wind-loading from a few days before and triggered a moderate size 'lanch from just below the ridge we were climbing up.  Nothing slid on the three runs we took for a total of 5000' vert for the day.  Great views and a great day with big open bowls and really fun tree skiing.
boot in the chute

Wow, that looks like a great day and a beautiful locale!  Pete and I looked at the map and can't find it.  Where is it and how do you get there?  Thanks!

Mary and Bean Pks are between Iron and Earl Pks, accessed via Bean Crk, N Fork Teanaway.

The Bean Creek basin looked great in the summer and I was planning to return this spring for some turns. 

The big question os how did you get in there as it is quite a hike from the end of the plowed road.  Did you use a snowmobile?  If not, if you have travel stats to share that would be great.

Nice photos.

Thanks!

Boot,

The couloirs in the background of one of your pictures look good. Do you know what peak that is?

BTW, Thanks for the report. It was nice on the eastside this weekend!!!

That's the south side of the Enchantments Jason.... Stuart is just off to the left...

author=Downhill link=topic=6312.msg25990#msg25990 date=1172000337]
The Bean Creek basin looked great in the summer and I was planning to return this spring for some turns. 

The big question os how did you get in there as it is quite a hike from the end of the plowed road.  Did you use a snowmobile? 

I'd be surprised if he didn't use a 'bile for this one, as it's quite a trek in there right now otherwise (don't know the stats, though, but it would be a damn long and quite flat road slog that's swarmed upon by snowmobiles in wintertime). Plus, I think I've seen Boot post other snowmo assisted reports. The trick for the rest of us (aside from folks who know how to cozy up to the 'bile owners to get a free ride  ;)) is timing - getting in right about when the road is clear to Beverly Creek. W/in a few weeks after that, the snowpack up in Bean Creek Basin starts to get pretty thin with lots of opportunities for unintentional base structuring.

This is one of the areas of the state that sometimes leads me to ponder buying a 'bile or two for some road riding to get to cool ski trailheads.

Jim,

This is definitely a very cool  8) ski area, but I really didn't want to bring up the 'S' word again  ;)!  BTW, there was no "swarming" going on.

Jason,  that is the Enchantments:  Colchuck, Dragontail, and Little Annapurna.  That looks pretty crazy-fun, doesn't it?!

Boot

I understand - I forgot it can be a touchy subject.

I haven't been in there in wintertime, so must admit that I've only heard from others that there are a lot of machines going out the roads back that way - perhaps it's not so swarmed after all (and to be clear, XC skiers and slowshoers "swarm" places like the Gold Creek and Kendall Ridge trails on nice weekends - it's not just a term I use for sleds, though in groups they do sound a bit like mosquitoes  ;)). Hopefully my response was taken merely as a helpful reply to the question and not goading of any sort.

And keep posting cool TRs like this one - I bet you won't catch much if any flak from naysayers.

Reply to this TR

february-17-2007-mary-pk-teanaways
Boot
2007-02-18 19:54:16