Home > Trip Reports > 2/13 - Rose Knob, Lake Tahoe

2/13 - Rose Knob, Lake Tahoe

2/13/07
US elsewhere
Posted by Robyn on 2/15/07 1:11pm
Rose Knob Peak is a great backcountry spot just above Incline Village, perfect for a short morning trip to get some turns in before class. Headed up the southeast ridge with some friends early on Tuesday, several days after the latest storm, and found untracked goodness everywhere in the trees on the east face of the ridge. Lower down on south-facing aspects the snow was a nasty sun crust that almost proved my undoing with numerous trees and manzanita bushes poking through. There was no skin track up the ridge so I broke trail in exchange for a beer later that night, and in my opinion the skiing was well worthwhile. After a few more feet of snow the peak itself should be in great shape for skiing, but as of right now the snow cover is still a little low and windblown.
Nice job.  That area has the best corn in February due to it's SE aspect. On a year like this in Tahoe, the manzanita can be brutal.  I have photo of my friend hiking down to the parking area with his skis barely poking above the manzanita.

Andrew

Reply to this TR

2-13-rose-knob-lake-tahoe
Robyn
2007-02-15 21:11:28