Home > Trip Reports > 2/10 Snoqualmie Mtn and Lundin Peak

2/10 Snoqualmie Mtn and Lundin Peak

2/10/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by mtn_mama on 2/12/07 10:04am
Two of my comrades and I ducked under the I-90 bridge and headed up the commonwealth basin into the fog.  We had to make a couple of "sporting" stream crossings in our boots, but otherwise the going was very easy.  Eventually, we hung a left upslope and topped out on Cave ridge to the north of Guye peak where the fog finally lifted. The snow up to this point was very icy, but after the ridge, it had softened slightly given the sun.  We proceeded up to the east peak of Snoqualmie Mtn, using the drainages just to the west of the south east ridge.  The recent inch or so of new snow made the surface just grippy enough.  However the last 700 feet were more efficiently scaled by booting up.  At this point, the dry windblown snow over the hardened layer was collecting on my wet skins, so I tossed my skis on my pack.    The wind was exceptional at the top and so was the view.  Rainier, Glacier, and even Baker came out to play. 
We descended off the peak and along the northeast ridge.  The skiing along here reminded me of springtime conditions with a thin layer of corn and wet stuff atop an unbreakable hard layer.  We continued to ski over to and below Lundin Peak where we decided we should pull a U-turn and boot up the "Cocaine Couloir" between the twin peaks of Lundin.  In a few places, the hardened layer had become punchy making the lower half of our climb difficult due to post holes.  We made the top in about a half hour and were met with more fierce winds.  The ski down was a great way to finish off our day and we returned home via Commonwealth, ending up at sahale lodge.  We didn't cross paths with any other party, but we did catch a glimpse of about four skiers heading up red mtn.     
Good times, boys.  Thanks for the company!

Reply to this TR

2-10-snoqualmie-mtn-and-lundin-peak
mtn_mama
2007-02-12 18:04:24