Home > Trip Reports > February 11, 2007, East Peak/Cement Basin

February 11, 2007, East Peak/Cement Basin

2/11/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by atacomite on 2/12/07 6:44am
Max and I left the upper C lot at 10am after checking in w/ the Crystal ski patrol (Ski Patrol warned that the new, wet 2 to 3€ will be sliding; shouldn't be a danger in itself but beware of terrain traps€¦)

The snow was indeed wet at lower elevations and where exposed to the sun.  I suffered from snow sticking and piling up under my skins on our assent :'(.   The pile up made it impossible to get an edge in while traversing up so I strapped the skis on my back and hiked it.  Climbing wasn't bad as the crust under the 2-3€ of new/soft gave way enough to get a good purchase on the slope with out postholing :). I€™m hoping the anti glopping stuff will fix that.  Max had no problem(new skins). 

Made our first run into Cement Basin facing northwestish from East Peak a little after noon.  The top 2-3€ was the €œButtery Smoothness€ stuff but of course it topped a scratchy noisy crust.  Good enough skiing€¦  We managed to trigger a 20€™ wide avalanche of the top 3€ that traveled perhaps 150€™.  No problems as we were above and to the side of the sluggish mass of snow. 

My skins behaved for the two climbs of Cement Basin after lunch.  The crust under the new snow softened later in the afternoon making a better feel under ski for our descents ;D.  Great skiing€¦  The sun was out to see us ski from East Peak to lot C at 3pm.  Soft Smooth Snow.

-Steve

Reply to this TR

february-11-2007-east-peak-cement-basin
atacomite
2007-02-12 14:44:42