Home > Trip Reports > Feb 11, Hex Mtn

Feb 11, Hex Mtn

2/15/07
Posted by Randito on 2/11/07 2:55pm
Seven of us from the Washington Ski Touring Club (www.wstc.org)  had a better than expected day on Hex Mtn today.    Given the predicted weather conditions I was please to find fresh snow at the Newport Creek parking area -- I was expecting rain because of  the low elevation.   One unplesant suprise was logging activity on the lower slopes -- for next season I expect this will mean better skiing on the lower slopes of Hex -- but for today it meant a plowed road for the first mile.  In the morning with the 4-6 inches of new snow we were able to ski up the road -- but with todays warm temps -- by afternoon we walked down that last mile.   The slopes above were is better conditions with fresh snow on top of the old base.  Because of the warm temps it wasn't "dust on crust", but "crud on corn" higher up, degrading to to "glop on mush" below 3200 ft. 
When we entered the forest at the top of the highest clearcut we encountered a fairly intense "rain storm" in the forest from tree drip, so we decided to forgoe the summit in leiu of making extra laps on the upper clear cuts.   During the day fog, snow showers and sun made alternating appearances, thankfully the sun appeared during some of our runs through the clearcuts.

video Link

Reply to this TR

feb-11-hex-mtn
Randito
2007-02-11 22:55:37