Home > Forum > WHICH SKINS FOR SALOMON POCKET ROCKET?????

WHICH SKINS FOR SALOMON POCKET ROCKET?????

• Raven
  • [Raven]
More
15 Apr 2003 10:10 #168241 by Raven
Does anyone know of skins that actually fit around the tip of the Salomon Pocket Rocket? OR does anyone have any ideas about how to rig a pair of XX Ascension skins (120 mm) over the tip of these fatties?<br><br>Thanks :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2003 01:07 #168243 by ron j
I never worry about skin tip attach systems since I fashioned my first set of "skin tip pockets" a few years ago. Armed with a speedy sticher, some patience and some spare time you can solve the problem quite aptly with a smooth running, trouble free system. Pictures of a typical setup are posted at: groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/tipskinpocketattachsystem.msnw
Let me know if you have any questions. I've done this for about 3 or 4 sets of skis now.

More
05 May 2003 11:40 #168264 by khyak
The Glide lites from Black Diamond come with a tip loop that actually fits the Pocket Rocket. However that being said, the first pair of 120mm skins we bought came with a tip loop that was too small. Our second pair came with a wider tip loop that fits perfectly. The correct tip connector has a straight tubular section that should measure 85 mm wide. I would imagine that BD would probably sell the tip connector seperately if you wanted to use a different skin. The glide lites are very light but do not seem like they will be as durable as the standard purple ascension skins. It is nice to have skins that do not have to be modified freakishly to fit.

• ovrthhills
  • [benthic]
More
06 May 2003 04:27 #168266 by ovrthhills
Replied by ovrthhills on topic Re: WHICH SKINS FOR SALOMON POCKET ROCKET?????
I had the same problem with my Motherships which I wanted to share a pair of G3 skins with my old Dynastar Bigs. The jury is still out but on my last outing I tried folding the narrow top end of the skin up an over the top of the tip and adhering it to the topskin of the ski. This worked for a while but the glue doesnt stick as well to the smooth topskin and as the ski tip flexes it came loose. I solved the problem by using a ski strap and cinching it around the tip just at the turn of the shovel. This worked great and I had no problems after six miles of travel. The setup is a little slow to remove on the fly but it does allow the skin to be removed from the tip first which is a complaint of the G3s. Let me know what you worked out for the tails.