Home > Trip Reports > Alpental BC: Chair/Source Lake

Alpental BC: Chair/Source Lake

2/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by alpymarr on 2/11/07 8:33am
Telemack, Scotsman and I toured around alpyback today with hopes of skiing the N. Slope of Chair. Skinned up to the bowl and encountered many natural slides of recent release. Ski cuts yielded surface slabs and along with the plentiful natural slides nearby decided to abort the tour and head back down to source lake. Got great first tracks in the apron all the way down. 6 inches of wet new on top of the crust provided many entertaining point releases all day long, especially off China area. Stability was greatly worse than expected and held us to the lower slopes. Point release city with minor surface slabs kept the attention on point as slides could be heard and seen all day. Other then the aborted tour and less than chill stability, the day was great fun with good turns and new partners. Cheers guys and thanks for the invite.
Yea verily it was good, esp. the slides running through the trees above Source Lake as we skied them.  It was wise to skip the bootpack up to the saddle climber's right of Chair Peak, that would have been a ride.  Looks like the snow has started again, and next weekend should be sweet.   :)  Good day, judgment needed and exercised. 
It was satisfying to bc with a young buck who can tolerate us middle-aged smartasses.   8)

Andy, thanks for the company and the tour. The slides where all class1 and probably not big enough
to bury you but they certainly could have taken us for a ride over some cliff bands which is always a factor to consider in the terrain up there.

Hopefully, some of the other TAYERS will take you up on your offer to ski now that we can vouch for you as being  fairly normal . ;D Actually a damm more normal than Telemack and I. ;)

Hopefully, some of the other TAYERS will take you up on your offer to ski now that we can vouch for you as being  fairly normal . ;D Actually a damm more normal than Telemack and I. ;)

To quote Groucho Marx:
"I certainly wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have ME as a member!"

Oh Yeah, the date of the trip was 2/11/07......woops

Reply to this TR

alpental-bc-chair-source-lake
alpymarr
2007-02-11 16:33:44