Home > Trip Reports > February 4, 2007, Breche Puiseux, Chamonix

February 4, 2007, Breche Puiseux, Chamonix

2/4/07
Europe
Posted by Michael on 2/9/07 6:03am
After a fun day on Saturday with Corinne on the col de Beugeant with great views on the Mt Blanc (no pictures as I had forgotten the camera), we went to the Breche Puiseux on Sunday.  The climb down the Aiguille du Midi was definitely crowded and it was good to get away from everyone as we traversed the glacier towards the "Glacier Noir". A 700 m climb led us to the bottom of the breche puiseux, a nice 300 m couloir which we climbed slowly.
After a short break, we rappelled down on the other side and then enjoyed about 900 m of untracked powder!! That was a great surprise as with the little amounts of snow in the area, I had given up any hope to find anything coming close to powder. But I guess that is the advantage of skiing a protected North Face at that altitude - the snow from the last snowfall from 10 days ago was still perfect powder.

Unfortunately, the battery of the camera ran out when we skied down, so I only have pictures from the climb.

PS: we moved to Zurich from Seattle in Jan and will stay here for the next 2 years. If any TAYers are in the Alps for some skiing - let us know!!

My dad climbing towards the breche.

View on the Aiguille du Midi and the vallee blanche

View on the famous "Grandes Jorasses" - one of the toughest North faces in the Alps

More pictures here

Nice TR. Someday.....

Michael- Glad to hear you're getting out the mountains and were able to find an untracked powder stash!  Sweet photos!!!  Brings back some great memories of the Valle Blanche  8)  [snow coverage on the glacier sure is looking thin for this time year!]

Wow.  Great tour and great pictures. Especially like the
Vallee Blanche picture -- probably best complete shot of the
Col du Plan "run" I've seen (the furthest lookers right way down the
glacier)...some of the best "lift" skiing I've ever experienced.

Glad to see it's not all work, dude, and sorry I'm not there with you this year.

That's some serious traffic on the Aiguille du Midi!

Nordic NED: very nice fotos! aahooh aahooh!
Peter looks like he's in wonderful shape!
do you miss me?

glad to see the Midi wasn't busy... ;)

Them's some serious mountains, Michael.
I'm glad to see that you and Corrine are getting to enjoy your extended family in the environment that you all love.

sweet, dood!!  i dig the photos too.  cool to be out with your dad and bro!  you guys are tearing it up out there!!  ;D

DAMN things look bare over there...not much snowfall over there this winter huh?

WOW! l'homme agréable de pitctures!

Thanks for all the comments...

Greg/Kam: definitely would have been fun to have you guys over here this year again! We definitely had a much better snow year last year though - so no regrets on that side  ;) Kam: of course I miss you  ;D need I say it?
As for Peter - yes he was in great shape...as a matter of fact I had a hard time following him up the couloir.
The aiguille du Midi was mostly crowded because one guy simply stopped walking for about 25 minutes. We passed on the side, but many people were stuck behind that guy.  On a bright note, we met Catherine Destivelle amongthe crowd - a very well known french climber - it was fun for me to see her as my first (and only) mountaineering movie I ever had as a child was about her...Talking about meeting people, on Saturday, Corinne and I met a Zoe (can't remember her last name) as we reached the col, she is a certified american guide who guided a lot in the PCW and now moved to Chamonix 8 years ago. She knew many people from Seattle...

TeleRoss: yes, it's been a very dry winter in the Alps so far. It's been the warmest January ever recorded in Switzerland...not good  :( Hopefully we will still get somegood storms to make the season last a bit....

i'm trying to picture where the Breche Puiseaus is- is it on the same ridge, but to the south, of the col du tacul, near the bivauc shelter? I'm confused because I thought the Glacier Noire was on the opposite side of the basin, facing the breche. I guess my memory is fading. Anyway, great picutres.

Here's a wobbly 3.5 minute video from the day before (Sat 3rd Feb).
We did a much easier route - staying on the Mer de Glace side coming down - but we started up the same way, so you get much the same view of the Vallee Blanche.

Awesome photos Michael, say hello to Corinne, we'll certainly miss you both over the next couple of years.  It was a pleasure having you involved in our Glacier class with your vast knowledge and experience .  Remember to keep the slippery side down and enjoy those "big" mountains.

Michael - Best wishes to you and family for a great stay in Zurich!  Thanks for sharing, we're gonna miss you guys around here...

author=ryanl link=topic=6218.msg25749#msg25749 date=1171252438">
i'm trying to picture where the Breche Puiseaus is- is it on the same ridge, but to the south, of the col du tacul, near the bivauc shelter? 

I don't have a map with me right now so wouldn't be to give you the right names. The Breche is pretty far from the Tacul though...

author=chrislear link=topic=6218.msg25764#msg25764 date=1171277755">
Here's a wobbly 3.5 minute video from the day before (Sat 3rd Feb).
We did a much easier route - staying on the Mer de Glace side coming down - but we started up the same way, so you get much the same view of the Vallee Blanche.

Nice video Chris - looks like you had some good snow as well there!

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=6218.msg25767#msg25767 date=1171295865">
Awesome photos Michael, say hello to Corinne, we'll certainly miss you both over the next couple of years.  It was a pleasure having you involved in our Glacier class with your vast knowledge and experience .  Remember to keep the slippery side down and enjoy those "big" mountains.

author=Marco Angel link=topic=6218.msg25782#msg25782 date=1171313880">
Michael - Best wishes to you and family for a great stay in Zurich! Thanks for sharing, we're gonna miss you guys around here...

Will definitley miss the crevasse rescue class as well and specially the great instructors I had ;-) As I said, any of you are welcome to visit us in Zurich and check out the Swiss alps!
We also expect to be back in Seattle for work pretty soon, so I am sure we will get to see you all on skis!

Reply to this TR

february-4-2007-breche-puiseux-chamonix
Michael
2007-02-09 14:03:03