Home > Trip Reports > February 4, Crystal Basin and Silver King

February 4, Crystal Basin and Silver King

2/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by bc44caesar on 2/4/07 12:07pm
Paul and I did a fun tour in the Crystal Mountain slackcountry today.  We skinned up Chair 4 and then made our way up the groomed trail before shooting up the slopes to Silver King (just in time to meet the resort crowd  ::)).  After soaking in some great views we cruised down the ridge to the south and dropped into Crystal Basin.  The snow was grabby slush, but this being our first time to Crystal Basin we were awed by the number of great ski lines all over the place!  We skinned our way back up to Silver King with the sun out in full force which made it outright hot up there!!  Awesome lenticulars were forming over Adams and Rainier all day, but around noon they got blown away from the mountains creating some crazy UFO-like clouds floating away to the east.  We cruised back down into Silver Basin which had better snow and back to the car for a nice 6hr trip (incl. lots of gawking time  :D)  Too bad we missed Super Bowl kickoff...

(That's me skiing down in the middle of the last photo, kind of hard to see I guess)
Hey! A day skiing is better than the Super Bowl. 

You got your trip report out fast (by 8:04 pm) ... my watch says 7:45 pm ... but wait, I am stuck in Hawaii (and thinking about skiing) so you are two hours ahead.  Still that was fast. 

Well, I suppose we called it day pretty early...around 2:30 or so since things were pretty sloppy.  Still, I'd definitely rather be skiing than sitting in front of the tube! ;D

Oh, I forgot to mention we also saw several old wet slides from a distance on mostly northwest aspects in Crystal Basin, in case anyone was interested.

Reply to this TR

february-4-crystal-basin-and-silver-king
bc44caesar
2007-02-04 20:07:44