Home > Trip Reports > Feb 1, 2007, Granite Mtn.

Feb 1, 2007, Granite Mtn.

2/1/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by myles_byrne on 2/2/07 3:41pm
My first time on Granite. Didn't see you jcocci, unless that was you wearing the helmet in the avalanche gully? Saw two hikers - apart from that, Granite was lonely Thursday.

Took the ridge up to the lookout, where there were some neat cornice formations (plus boot tracks too close to their edges!). The clear atmosphere made for a great view, but i was afraid of not making the trail before sunset. If i can't spend a good hour with a view like that, as far as i'm concerned i have yet to begin to see it. Unsure about a south side descent, i hiked down the west ridge a bit to get past the convex hump below the shack. I boarded up and tried cutting east to get back to the trail neck.

The bowl immediately to the west of the shack and under the convexity was interesting - mostly hard shell that my board (Prior Khyber split 165) barely held edge in, then transitioning into shallow buttered corn. I was trying to understand how nice corn was forming right next to shell - seemingly minor changes in aspect and wind exposure? This was my first time on corn - it did indeed feel very nice.

Sure enough, i couldn't traverse east hard enough to make the trail. I ended up boarding and then booting it through the woods until i reached the trail that branches west from the Granite summit trail. The ice on the trail is worst nearest the bottom.

I enjoyed the taste of corn, but was really looking to split the board and do some kick turns or skinning. The west bowl looked like a fine place to do this, but i was out of time and racing the sun. I vowed to stop taking the daylight for granite ...

[Edit: corrected date in subject line. --Charles]
author=myles_byrne link=topic=6178.msg25559#msg25559 date=1170488478]
I was trying to understand how nice corn was forming right next to shell - seemingly minor changes in aspect and wind exposure? This was my first time on corn - it did indeed feel very nice.

I was up a few days prior and the icy bits may be from previous ski tracks that froze overnight and didn't soften up as quickly as the rest of it.  Lots of good lines to be had there.  Sounds like you had a great trip!  :D

If you were up there Thursday, then the date was Feb. 1, so I will change that in your original post.

Reply to this TR

feb-1-2007-granite-mtn
myles_byrne
2007-02-02 23:41:18