Home > Trip Reports > January 31, 2007, Granite Mountain

January 31, 2007, Granite Mountain

1/31/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charles on 1/31/07 12:41pm
With David's report from yesterday of still-corn I headed up, leaving the trailhead at a very reasonable 10:45. Very little breeze even on top, sunny and warm, had some lunch just below the top. I started down at 1:45 and skied the south face run that goes into the skier's right gulley. Still excellent skiing! In a few spots had to be careful of old tracks (icy), but overall great skiing on 1-2 inches of softened snow over a firm base. Stopped at 3900 feet and booted back up the rib between skier's right and central gullies. Too tired to go back to the top so stopped at 5100 feet. Started down around 3:30 and skied the skier's right side of the rib, still facing the westering sun (soft) and not very tracked. Down lower skied the "glades" of the central gulley as they were still in the sun, down to about 3400 feet. The trail on the way up had been incredibly icy so after crossing back to the west of the gully I just plunge stepped down through the firm forest snow and hit the trail around 2500 feet. I didn't fall at all skiing but nearly biffed about a dozen times hiking the last few hundred vertical of the trail - packed and frozen snow and some water ice. Instep crampons would have been helpful. Seems like tomorrow may be similar, so if you are one of the few bc skiers who has not skied Granite corn this week, don't delay!
Sounds like a wonderful day.  I thought about you skiing while I was sitting in the doctors office.

I have been considering this tour as a first time solo trip. You veterans think it's a good on for that? Provided of course the proper equipment, planning and attention-paying?

author=oftpiste link=topic=6160.msg25509#msg25509 date=1170352154]
I have been considering this tour as a first time solo trip. You veterans think it's a good on for that? Provided of course the proper equipment, planning and attention-paying?

I couldn't recommend for or against it as a solo trip. I really wanted a partner, because I feel a lot more comfortable with a partner for this kind of trip. I exhausted all of my midweek contacts without finding a partner, and then posted here looking for a partner (found one but he was going to leave trailhead at 4am and to work by 9:30). I decided to go alone anyway, given that David's report suggested that conditions would still be ideal. I was much comforted when I started down my first run and saw several people climbing up below me, but I was still pretty cautious, and I decided to not try to ski the crud and frozen forest snow at the end because by then no one was around. It's really each person's own judgment call with many factors to consider.

Charles, did you make it up today?  Was that you in the red jacket/white pants on tele gear? Buttery corn goodness

Yes, yes, and yes! Were you the other skier I saw?

Yes, I was coming up right behind you.  You were making some BEAUTIFUL turns!!  I made the summit about 20 minutes after you started your descent.  Once I got my gear and my head in check, it was luscious! :D  I would have pm'ed you but I wasn't sure how late I was going to head up due to some work oblgations in the early am.  PM me with your email and I'll send you some pics that I took as you were coming down.  ;)

plinko... post 'em! (the pics) 

Here's a few...If your eyes are good, you'll see Charles in center frame in the first two.

Reply to this TR

january-31-2007-granite-mountain
Charles
2007-01-31 20:41:47