Home > Trip Reports > Jan 21-27, 2007, Wallowas, High Pressure Paradise

Jan 21-27, 2007, Wallowas, High Pressure Paradise

1/21/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by md2020 on 1/30/07 4:57am
I've been reading all these trip reports from the last week or so, and I must say I'm impressed with the determination of PNW skiers to get out during this high pressure period of boiler plate and thick breakable crust. Our group on the other hand spent the last week on a hut trip with Wallowa Alpine Huts out of Joseph, OR.

We were greeted at the McCulley Basin trailhead on Sun to a strong high pressure system after a 6 inch refresh from the day before. High pressure in these mountains means a stable snowpack, cold, dry temps and clear skies. Except for the low snowpack, which required a bit of caution in some of the more boney areas, snow conditions were excellent. Stability allowed us the opportunity to ski nearly anything we could see, and the low January sun and lack of wind kept the crust and wind slab at bay. Our hosts from Wallowa Alpine Huts, the yurt accommodations, food and drink were beyond expectations.

After the hut trip, Brenda and I hung around town for two more days and day toured up on Wing Ridge. Such easy access, tons of terrain and still excellent snow were to be found on the many NE aspects.

Please do yourself a favor and take a trip to this remote corner of the PNW.

Great outfit and area, huh?  It's funny; we did 5 days there right after Xmas last month, and it snowed the first night and then was clear the rest of the time.  Must happen for every guided  group!  ;)
Did you climb Hidden Peak?  One of your photos looks like a view down the descent line.
Good to see another report on the area, and I highly recommend Wallowa Alpine Tours, too.

author=telemack link=topic=6149.msg25437#msg25437 date=1170196946]
Did you climb Hidden Peak? 

funny you should ask. Most of the group climbed it, but some of us chose to ski instead - guides included. We went over there on a lark from the saddle above Aneroid Lake. It looked boney but the 2 gullies were pretty good. The narrower one to the right already had a couple tracks, but the larger was untracked. From a distance it really looked steep, but up close it was really pretty mellow.

We skied at the Wing Ridge Huts last year. It's not as nice as the one you guys did, we had to hall all of our food and beer in for a hull week. But we did get 22" of new on the first day and into the night with temps in the teens and dipping into the single digits over night.

The Wallowas are awesome. After skiing in them last March I had to get back for a 6 day backpacking tour in October. That area is just as nice without the snow.

Aaron

I think Wing Ridge is better for day tours. Access is so easy and you gain the ridge and bowls at around 8K' from the Salt Creek snow park in 2 hours or less.

author=md2020 link=topic=6149.msg25450#msg25450 date=1170217457]
I think Wing Ridge is better for day tours. Access is so easy and you gain the ridge and bowls at around 8K' from the Salt Creek snow park in 2 hours or less.

I'm heading out to the Wallowas this weekend and was looking for more info on day tours while staying in enterprise.  I heard about the salt creek snow park, do you have any specific route suggestions?

Reply to this TR

jan-21-27-2007-wallowas-high-pressure-paradise
md2020
2007-01-30 12:57:12