Home > Trip Reports > Jan 28, 2007, Hurricane Ridge

Jan 28, 2007, Hurricane Ridge

1/28/07
WA Olympics
Posted by altasnob on 1/29/07 1:24pm
Took advantage of the fantastic weather Sunday and headed out to the Olympic Peninsula for some surfing and skiing. The waves weren't very big but it was a good way to kill some time waiting for the corn to grow. We paid $16 for a half-day ticket and skied the resort until 4. After they shut down the poma we decided to ski some more Southwest facing slopes in the setting sun.

I paid $80 for the annual National Parks pass, $30 more than I paid last year. They told me the pass works as a Northwest Forest pass, which accounts for the increased price.
Good job getting out to the other side of the pond.  I'm not sure, but I think you can also get a parks-only annual pass for less. 
Wirh Paradise closed I've been avoiding my new parks pass until I go in my own vehicle, and driving with friends who have a current pass.

author=altasnob link=topic=6147.msg25424#msg25424 date=1170134696]
I paid $80 for the annual National Parks pass, $30 more than I paid last year. They told me the pass works as a Northwest Forest pass, which accounts for the increased price.

Crazy.  That doesn't make any sense.  It used to work that you paid $50 for the pass and then if you wanted for an additional $15 (a total of $65) you could get the golden eagle pass, which was a sticker that they allowed you to use  as a NW Forest Pass as well.  Gotta love the gov't!

Altasnob,
What time did you get out?
They were threatening to close the gate at the bottom at 4:30 to downhill traffic, but there were still people on the rope tow at 4pm.
Saw snowboarders building a kicker on the lookers left of the lodge in the waning sunlight.
Was that your crew?

One thing I like about that area is the lack of egotistical aggravation that normally stirs in a regular ski area.
Great place to take kids to learn. People flocked in XC gear, snowshoes, snowboards, AT skis-Lots of smiles!
Super place to just get out of the car and ski-no need for snow machines.
Ran into some locals at a trailhead where I wanted to ski for years and they were real friendly and helpful. They even put in the skin track! The very relaxed unpretentious attitude was a warm welcome for the newbies.
The perfect end of the day was the free 1lb basket of hot french fries from the lodge at closing!!!
I have a couple shots, but don't want to assume your thread Alta-
Joe

author=ultragrrl link=topic=6147.msg25431#msg25431 date=1170177761]
Crazy.  That doesn't make any sense.  It used to work that you paid $50 for the pass and then if you wanted for an additional $15 (a total of $65) you could get the golden eagle pass, which was a sticker that they allowed you to use  as a NW Forest Pass as well.  Gotta love the gov't!

They still do sell that version ... or at least they were last September, when I bought mine. 

The $80 pass also most of the state parks in WA and OR, plus certain other oddball categories like US Fish n Wildlife sites, and Corps of Engineers rec sites, etc.  I bought that in a previous year, but then never used it for anything but NPS and USFS sites  ::) ...  I wish they'd told me about the $65 option back then. 

The ranger that sold me the pass did not seem very knowledgeable on the various pass options. He just said if I wanted a single pass that would work at both Olympic and Rainier National Parks,  I would have to get the $80 pass.

Joe, we left after the sunset a little after 5. The ranger said everyone had to leave by dusk and there were still several other cars up there when we left. I don't think there is a risk of getting locked up there by the gate because the last ranger will not come down until the parking lot is empty (save the vehicles left there by overnight permit holders). We didn't build the jump but just found it when we were hiking up our run (it was lookers right of the lodge). I agree, Hurricane Ridge is one of the most friendly resorts out there and well worth the drive/ferry when the sun is shinning.

Oh, and I don't care if others post pics on my threads.

Reply to this TR

jan-28-2007-hurricane-ridge
altasnob
2007-01-29 21:24:56