Home > Trip Reports > NE Silver -28

NE Silver -28

1/28/07
Posted by RonL on 1/29/07 12:48am
I had to be back in town around one today and I tried to convince myself that the East Face of Silver would be a good candidate for corn. Once I got to the Twin Lakes Trail I left the road; traveling this snow was about as aesthetic as pressing a heavy thumbnail through an old Styrofoam Big Mac container. I went back onto the groomed road. Just before windy pass I cut back into the woods and decided to find a route up the NE ridge. It goes just fine and there would be great steep tree skiing with some nice small glades in better conditions. The wind was howling like it had all hell behind it when I got to the summit. It was a beautiful day for views. I tried to look for skiers on Granite but they probably had better sense than me, or I just can€™t see well that far away. I violated the rules for a true summit ski by walking back under the small cornice a good 20 feet to get some wind protection while I put my skis on. The East Face still looks like a fun time, but with difficult snow, uncertain terrain that I hadn€™t gotten a chance to look at up close, and being solo I decided to go back the way I ascended. The summit section was pretty nice skiing, a little icy but the edges held just fine, the lower trees were appalling where their skirts of drip water had froze solid. Perhaps after 3pm or so the summit softened a little in the sun but I doubt it would have been corn. The road out was a blast sorry if I scared any of you track skiers. I was back at the car at 11:45.
Ron - I said SOUTH East facing in the am might be corn...sheesch.  Nice Pics! 

And knowing you, are you sure you were looking at Granite?  (I know, two digs in one post, that's why you love me)

I know it, see what happens when I am left to my own decision making? But hey, I got to put my new skis through the paces, and the edges will never be sharper than they were yesterday morning.

Reply to this TR

ne-silver-28
RonL
2007-01-29 08:48:42