Home > Trip Reports > The Pimple Formally Known As St Helens 1/28

The Pimple Formally Known As St Helens 1/28

1/28/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 1/28/07 11:42pm
Squirrel99 dropped me a line and baited it with a little St Helens.  Freezing levels and forecast of sun created the perfect weather window for a 5,600ft run.  Gregm and I arrived at Marble Mount snowpark by 6ish on Saturday and car camped at the trailhead.  Squirrel99, Z-bo, Rob would meet us somewhere along the trail on Sunday.

It was a clear night but not too frigid.  The next morning we started skinning by 7:30ish with our puffies on.  Trail was frozen so it was easy boot but the skins were already on so what the hell. 

Broke out of the trees an hour later and things were still frozen but this was our view.

We continued a bit higher before realizing things weren't gonna soften up too much today so let's relax.  I know the occupants in this shelter were.

During one of our breaks Squirrel99, Z-bo and Rob caught up.  Gregm and Squirrel99 skinned to the summit with one short carry.  The rest of us took advantage of the nice groomed boot track up.  At the summit we marinated under the sun and did the things you do to keep yourself occupied while waiting for the corn to come out of the oven.

So you take pictures among things.

Righteous! Nice pix!

You didn't mention anything about sled traffic. I always have waited til after the sleds are off the mountain before going to St Helens. What's it like in midwinter? Is it pretty much a given that you will share the upper mountain with lots of motorheads? Your pix have a distinct lack of belt-trax on them ...

wolfs the sleds were there in force and had their own designated trails.  So did the nordic skiers.  Highest tracks I saw were at timberline.  At the trailhead the sleds were loud but as soon as you entered deep enough into the woods all sounds were dampened except for the sounds of snowshoes. ;D

Nice!  On my way in on Saturday I passed lots of disappointed skiers coming down complaining of how icy it was.  Sounds like you guy managed to find some good stuff.

Sunday the skiing was fantastic.  The corn was in full effect:

Appears the slopes needed one more day of baking and everyone who showed up Sunday got their slice and them some.

i had a great run all by myself down the whole mountain!  nothing was even tracked.  amazing how many gullies run down that south face.

panoramic view from crater rim

That looks awesome!!!!!

I really would like to do that soon.

Just a note, I went back to Utah last week and the skiing here is MUCH better!!!!!!

Next time someone is goung up there, can I join in???? Please sens a PM if you have room for one more.

Bryan C

Reply to this TR

the-pimple-formally-known-as-st-helens-1-28
snoslut
2007-01-29 07:42:11