Home > Trip Reports > Jan 27-28, 2007, Alaska Mtn south face

Jan 27-28, 2007, Alaska Mtn south face

1/27/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Pete A on 1/28/07 1:55pm
Been wanting to ski the south face of Alaska Mtn for a while and given the weather it sure seemed like it would be a good bet for some mid-winter corn this weekend.

Marcus, Anastasia, Kirsten, Nate, Mica, Andy, Becky, me, and Tundra (Andy's two-year old Akita) tracked the heck outta the south face today.  Corn condtions were fantastic.

Leisurely day yesterday skiing up Gold Creek valley...unbreakable crust in the trees and a leftover skin track from Sky and Casey skiing in the area early in the week made for fast travel.

Cramponed up one of the ribs early this morning, had to wait around on the summit for about an hour until corn-o-clock struck (11am).  Our huge crew then split up and took adjacent ribs back down.   

Another great search and destroy mission, Pete.  Fantastic snow and a beautiful weekend.  Of course, it's desperately, desperately difficult to get back in there :)

Nice work  ;D

I'm glad you decided to go out there and enjoy the nice weather and mtn. It was really a great weekend for it!!!

thanks Jason. 
congrats to you, Phil, and Sky on your extremely successful Pickets trip.  way to take advantage of the weather and get a big descent!

Good job, Pete.  That sure looks like a fun one.  I might have to go ski that really soon.

Reply to this TR

jan-27-28-2007-alaska-mtn-south-face
Pete A
2007-01-28 21:55:10