Home > Trip Reports > Jan 28, 2007, Granite Mountain (I-90)

Jan 28, 2007, Granite Mountain (I-90)

1/28/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Peter_Baer on 1/28/07 11:27am
The Granite Mt trail is currently an easy-to-follow boot path in the snow (some bare patches, mostly at creek crossings, below 2800'; just one blowdown requiring a little circumnavigation) until about 3200', at which point most tracks abandon the trail and braid out in various directions up the avy chute.  Once above treeline we headed NW towards the (mostly snow-free) SW ridge and then followed it on its E side, staying on snow.  Above 4400' or so the route is fairly steep and we were happy to have our ice axes.  The wind was blowing pretty good at this point - 20-30MPH from the E.  The snow was consolidated and spring-like, and a bit icy above 4800' (especially where exposed to the wind).  Decent enough for step-kicking, though; no crampons required.

We hung out on the summit for a while, debating whether to descend the SW shoulder or steeper S slope.  This was around 1pm and it seemed a wash as to which would be in better condition.  We opted for the S slope, as avy conditions looked reasonable and there are enough subtle aspect changes there that we were bound to be able to find something decent.  Indeed we enjoyed fair corn snow on a SSW aspect of one of the minor ridges on the S slope, and in fact it was very good between around 4200' and 3200' (staying on the alder-covered ridge just to the E of the westernmost avy chute).

We crossed the chute and re-entered the forest around 3000'.  We took the skis off and quickly found the trail again.

We had brought skins but only used them very briefly, around 3200', before deciding it the slope was too steep and alder-y, and the snow too soft, for efficient skinning.  Some folks stuck it out longer but above 4400' everyone I saw was carrying their skis.

Dozens of people (and several dogs) out & about on the mountain today - a mix of snowshoers, boarders and skiers.  Beautiful weather - bluebird skies and views as far as the eye could see.

Enjoy spring while it lasts!
Having experienced stiff snow and wind on the west side of Granite yesterday, I returned today for calmer, warmer conditions on the south side.  Winds picked up above 4500', and the corn was unbuttered above 4900' so I deskinned and enjoyed laps in perfect spring conditions on both sides of the south rib 4900'-3900' between 11AM-2PM.  Skiing down toward the trailhead, I found open forest with good wind protected softened snow coverage a few hundred yards west of the south rib streambed which allowed skiing to the trail as far down as 2200'.  It's a great snow year!

Love that 45 minute commute, now I better appreciate why Ron likes Paradise all year.  Wish I could ski Granite all year, but there was strong evidence that conditions are sometimes considerably more worrisome than today's.

Encouraged by Silaswild's report, and accompanied by Silas himself, 4 of us got a civilized start and started hiking around 8:45 or 9 AM.  We climbed the S gulley, initially all on skins.  Steve and I quickly decided booting was the way to go, while Florian and Silas persisted with the plush carpet technology.  Silas decamped to lap south side corn between 4000' and 5000' having had enough wind
yesterday, while the three remainders continued to the top.  It was quite windy and the "skis as sail phenomenon" was pronounced.  On the plus side, the snow on the south face was noticably softening, although at one point Steve and I stepped around the corner to the SW ridge and it was bulletproof.  We were joined by a large group on the summit, where the winds were moderate and the views unlimited.  We probably started down about 1 PM, with Florian egging us on for the West bowl.  I was skeptical, but he quickly dropped it with his usual good form, so Steve and I followed in a slightly more conservative line. The upper part was supporting crust/semi-ice/perfectly skiable, while the lower
part was perfect corn.  Once down in the Granite/Granite West bowl, we elected to cross the drainage and descend the woods to the Ollalie trail, more on the Granite West side.  We all met up at the car and got Silas' good report from the S side. A great trip with a great group.

Thanks to Silas for resizing the photos: here is my first attempt at in-report photos.  On the W face view, we descended towards the left side.

Indeed, the weather was beautiful up on Granite Mountain today.  In the calms it was downright warm.  Sounds like quite a few TAYers made it up Granite today.  My group unfortunately had to turn around by noon due to obligations in town before reaching the summit.  We happened upon Silas' stash on the was down.  He isn't kidding, it was good.  Nice to meet you Silas, by the way.  Thanks for reminding me about the No Snowboard rule on Granite Mountain.  I'll remember that next time.

Nice photos!  We watched you guys make turns in the W bowl.  From your comments it sounds like we made the right call to head down the S side instead of following the SW shoulder.

I'm intrigued, Silas, (or Mej) what's the No Snowboard rule on Granite?

Great shot of Kaleetan, DK, it looks in form.

Yet more TAYers up there.  Steph and I read Silas's report from yesterday about the snow firmness and the similar report from Red Moutain and adjusted our start time accordingly.  We started from the TH about 11am not too far behind another couple of skiers and started skiing down the south side around 2:30pm.  We nailed the snow conditions.  The south side snow was so nice, corny, and buttery, I had to head up for a serving of seconds. 

We must have just missed you Silas. 

-Bill f

author=MW88888888 link=topic=6134.msg25383#msg25383 date=1170048171]
I'm intrigued, Silas, (or Mej) what's the No Snowboard rule on Granite?

I think he's referring to the fact that it gets windy up there and a snowboard strapped to a pack acts like a sail to knock you off balance.

No, Silas was simply giving me grief for being a snowboarder.  The sentence might have been better with one of these  ;)

Kaleetan in photo 2 looks... :) :D ;D

Reply to this TR

jan-28-2007-granite-mountain-i-90
Peter_Baer
2007-01-28 19:27:35