Home > Trip Reports > Jan 26, Mt. Hyak Brunch Patrol

Jan 26, Mt. Hyak Brunch Patrol

1/26/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by telemack on 1/26/07 2:17pm
     With a free day and low expectations for conditions my dog & I left the base about 10:45.  Met "Tennessee" (stihlfree on TAY) of the Hyak patrol, who reported on a pit he dug by the radio tower on a N aspect at about 4000':  crust an inch or 2 down, he said, then well consolidated about 2-1/2 feet to another crust.  He said a shovel shear took some force but failed with a pronounced shear a few inches above the lower crust.  Seeing him again on his sno-mo some minutes later really gave our spirits a lift!  ::)
     Fog cleared by the top of the ski area for a brilliant mild PM, and pup Taska and I headed down the old lift line S to Mill Creek.   Even in the sun it was still a bit hard at about 11:30, but pretty turnable on warming surface hoar atop the crust. I think it warmed up well later on S slopes.  Crossed the creek packing skis and followed the Nordic groomed back to top the lifts.  N side was very scritchy tele-ing in the shade.  Skinned all the way to the top a second time with Frank from Deutschland, and cruised the groomed road. 
     On the way back I went bouldering below the trestle at Exit 38 for over an hour.  Skis and crash pad in the same day.... ;D
     For the weekend I'd say no AM rush, and look for surface hoar or well-warmed slopes.  Steeper could get softer, but watch out for PM wet slides. 

Reply to this TR

jan-26-mt-hyak-brunch-patrol
telemack
2007-01-26 22:17:17