Home > Trip Reports > Jolly Mtn, Jan 24-25, 2007

Jolly Mtn, Jan 24-25, 2007

1/24/07
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Larry_R on 1/25/07 9:20pm
Each week is different, and I'm amazed at how much the snow conditions change. A couple of weeks ago it was *cold*, but this trip was more like spring. Bright sunshine, up to 42 degrees Wed afternoon. It's the first time this winter when I've actually been too hot sitting in the tent.

In the evening listening to the radio, I heard a most illustrative ad for Ski-Doo snowmobiles from Wenatchee Honda. As I remember: 'each snowmobile ride is a competition; to push further into the backcountry, to [something do do with hill climbing in powder], to...'  As this seems to fit with what I've seen, my mood took a big hit.

But I did start up the hill at 6am, under the stars feeling good. Traveling was quite fast on a hard crust until I got to ~5700' where a sun and possibly rain crust had formed over 3 or 4 inches of new. In places the crust was so solid, shining like a mirror, that my moderately sharp edges would not hold and the only solution was to stomp through the crust, side stepping up. I wished I had brought my ski crampons. And my self arrest grip too! The last 500 feet to the summit of Jolly was easier because it was getting warmer (a nice temperature inversion) and sun exposure.

Besides wanting to beat the big rush to Jolly, I couldn't pass up this perfectly clear day to take another set of panoramic pics for my Jolly labeled panorama with my new 6 mp camera. Every time I get a new and better camera, I want to redo the panoramas I have processed to date, maybe 15 peaks. Now Cannon has a 10 mp Elph out - it's hopeless.    :D  The pic below is looking southeast from the summit.

Skiing down was, shall I say, less than ideal. The nice little run off the top was shiny ice, and the trees to the north had a nasty crust on top of light snow. I did find an occasional spot here and there with pseudo spring snow that were good for a few turns. Unlike the usual state of affairs, the snow got better as I went down. Sun exposed areas were, well, terrible, but shaded locations were at least skiable - sort'a. It looks like there were several tenths precip on Tuesday with very warm temps, and then warm and sunny on Wednesday. Higher up the precip in part fell as snow, but I think it was then followed by a period of rain. Add a nice sun crust to the rain crust, and€¦

Whether this will change to nice uniform spring like snow by the weekend, who knows. (I've got my doubts.)

Larry

Reply to this TR

jolly-mtn-jan-24-25-2007
Larry_R
2007-01-26 05:20:12