Home > Trip Reports > Jan 21, 2007, Sunrise Ridge, Olympic N.P.

Jan 21, 2007, Sunrise Ridge, Olympic N.P.

1/21/07
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 1/21/07 12:35pm
    2 carloads of BCers went up to Hurricane Ridge today.  Road opened a bit late; the sand truck had to go first.  But we were some of the first up, and we skinned up past the rope tow onto Sunrise Ridge.  At the first knoll on the ridge E of the ski area
Scotsman did a hasty pit,and found a pronounced crust about 4" down, then another a bit less than a foot deeper (correct if I got this wrong), and some variable layers below on a S slope about 25 deg. This was just below the windy crest, so we figure it would be fine further down with the decreasing hazard---and we were right.
    Ran 2 laps of 400'+ down to the road, then climbed the treed slope again and ascended the ridge out NE to a knob at 5500'.  From there we had a fine 800' down to the road, in 12" heavy but very turnable snow up to 35 deg.  I stuck out my thumb and quickly hitched back to the car and shuttled the others back to the lodge.  After a sit in the warm lodge we ran 2 short laps down the Lodge Run below, where we had several inches of low angle fluff-on-crust that changed to crud and crust as the angle steadily climbed to about 40 deg. 
    There is tons of snow up there.  Very fun day and big "yee-haw" to BC pals Scottsman, Michael, Richard and blitz!
I was also up at Hurricane Ridge today, first time skiing there outtabounds. Conditions were pretty nice as telemack stated, and stability tests revealed the same as his. I personally think that Hurricane Ridge is a bit of a buzz kill, since I have a monster drive up there, but nonetheless a fun trip. Think I'll try some other tours in the area with hopefully a LOT more vert and options available. My buddy(snowshoeing snowbaorder, and a bit slow at the thinking thing) decided he liked the looks of a lee slope right under some nice cornices......dropped it and it was slab time. Small slab, but still enough to get the nerves going, at least for me. Measured out at about 8 inches in depth and fractured a good 50 feet cross slope and began to run at a pretty high velocity. Definately wind loaded on these particular slopes. Wind loaded snow appeared to be resting on the shallow crust previously described above in telemacks TR, which was most certainly the fracture point. Makes me really value knowledgable partners, as I didn't feel like diggin this guy out. Should've been obviously risky in his mind, but wasn't. Skinned back up the ridge and skied to the bottom of the Poma, skinned back to the top and drove home, a little bit sketched by my snowboarding comrade. Hope yall had good outtings........

Yah, we stayed away from all N-facing, tho we were tempted.  What was the exact location  and elevation of the slab?  And how long does it take from where you live to get to the Oly goods?

Great trip Telemack,
                               Just  a little more information. The ridge has cornices both sides( although bigger on the NW side )which is an indication of how the winds have been changing direction up there. The lee slopes did indeed look inviting and spooky and we stayed away. ;)

The Michael that was with us was a 15yr old friend of my son Stewie and this was his first BC trip. :D
I had taken him with Stewie to Crystal the day before and checked out his skiing skills in the South and North country. He was lucky in that my spare set of AT skis and boots fit him . So armed with some beacon instruction, we set off. He had previouslty done  a lot of park skiing and was used to skiing on short, park twin tips so I was interested in seeing how he was going to cope with 185 , Rossi B2's.  Stewie had forgotton his backpack with all his avy gear and skins so had to go ride the rope tow while we took his friend Michael touring.

In addition the only other piece of gear I had to give him was a belt for his trousers as I informed him that having your pants halfway down your butt as per " park style" might hinder his skinning. ;D

The mortherly instinct kicked in with Blitz who very patiently showed him how to skin and kick turn up a very steep skin track that Telemack and I had set. Halfway up he wanted to go back but some gummy bears and an almond joy gave him enough of a sugar rush to keep going and he managed another run.

The car ride there had all been about him telling us about hitting switch 180's off kickers, but the ride home was all about  fresh tracks, skinning and how much it would cost for a set of AT gear. ;D

author=telemack link=topic=6086.msg25169#msg25169 date=1169478948]
Yah, we stayed away from all N-facing, tho we were tempted.  What was the exact location  and elevation of the slab?  And how long does it take from where you live to get to the Oly goods?

Aspect was NE and elevation roughly 300 feet above the rope tow. I am in Olympia and frequent Alpy and MRNP. Looking to go on an extended tour into Royal Basin and hopefully a two day trip to LOA and the valley of heaven, headwall permitting. If you know anything about that some beta would be cool. Skied Elinor and Washingotn a few times, guess I've just been there too much in the summer to have much desire to go back much. Nice chute off the N.Face of Elinor and a nice run down the west face of Washington. How bout your Oly goodies ;)

"The car ride there had all been about him telling us about hitting switch 180's off kickers, but the ride home was all about  fresh tracks, skinning and how much it would cost for a set of AT gear.  "

Nice! I love it when that happens!

Telemack - thanks for the trip report - the  three directions of cornices on the same ridge line were really weird!!!

Scotsman - now bringing Michael - THAT was a power move

motherly instinct???  HAA!!!!

that boy is ALSO a friend of MY teenage son who has yet to don a shovel and venture into the wild - we might have a foot in the door here...

talk about corruption ;)

author=alpymarr link=topic=6086.msg25207#msg25207 date=1169538611]

See my PM on other Olympics tours.  I haven't been on skis to any of those places you mention except the Ellinor chute.  Maybe this will be the year?  Mt. Townsend gets skied fairly regularly.  What are the lines on Washington?  That would be cool, I can see it from my house! ;D

Reply to this TR

jan-21-2007-sunrise-ridge-olympic-n-p
telemack
2007-01-21 20:35:28