Home > Trip Reports > January 17 and 18, 2007, Sasse Ridge

January 17 and 18, 2007, Sasse Ridge

1/17/07
Posted by larry's sister on 1/20/07 1:48am
This was a happy birthday Larry trip.  Roslyn am temp was 9 degrees, but heading back up valley it warmed up. Started out at 22 degrees at 9:15am with a 3-4" new snow on top of a solid rain crust.  The snow had falled cold and provided little traction, so lots of slipping and pole bracing going up the usual skin track through the woods.  The road had been too hamburged up by snowmobiles to even consider.
The characer of the crust changed off and on, some places being very breakable, ie not skiable. There was evidence of other skiers having to sidestep down normally skied openings in the trees.
Camped at the usual spot, anticipating cold night temps, knowing that my stuff is not tested below 10 degrees. Clear, great stargazing.  Luckily, the nighttime low was only 16 degrees, then it clouded up and snowed lightly.  Morning ski started up the hill in the dark at 6:15 am, snowing but no wind.  Snowmobiles had made it up over the ridge and trashed a few good ski lines, but there was plenty left to enjoy. The weather was typical gray, snowing mostly all day.
These are the days that make for great skiing, but no great picture opps. I took a picture of my tracks to remember my new skis by, even though I figured it wouldn't come out.  The original picture was totally white snow and black trees. A little photo editing later, adjusting brightness and using the Photoshop curves tool and the help of my husband I got the results I wanted.  My advice is to anyone wanting to document their track on a special day is go ahead.  Photo editing now is very powerful.
Here is that picture of my new ski tracks, ( the same skis Larry uses for Randonee, Atomic MX:11 only mine are mounted tele.) and a picture of Larry setting up his tent.

Reply to this TR

january-17-and-18-2007-sasse-ridge
larry's sister
2007-01-20 09:48:18