Home > Trip Reports > Jan 18, Mt. Snoq and Phantom

Jan 18, Mt. Snoq and Phantom

1/18/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jasonsalvo on 1/18/07 7:25am
Sid and I arrived at Alpental around 730am, surprised that it was snowing rather heavily. We toured up Phantom hoping to move quickly enough to ski the Slot and still be back to Seattle by 2. There was about 5-8" of new atop a sometimes breakable crust. Crampons were necessary. We made it to what I think was the East Summit around 12-ish and decided we didn't have time continue to the true summit and ski the backside.

The ski down was very good, very very good. The new snow is thick, so for the most part the crust was undetectable. However, all the snow in Waterfall decided to join me during my descent, and managed to beat me down by quite a bit. It seemed to be in a hurry and, being a gentleman, I thought I should let it pass.
Yikes - sounds like an entertaining moment toward the end of the run there. Sluff or slab?

I was at Snoqualmie Central with my grandson(sherpa training) and the heavy snowfall earlier in the morning turned to freezing rain at 11am and continued until we left at 1pm.  I noticed a slight raincrust developing on my last run at 11:01am.  Had to wait for the trainee to finish his lesson.  The raincrust may be an issue at lower elevation tours this weekend.

Sluff. Nothing too scary but for the location.

Reply to this TR

jan-18-mt-snoq-and-phantom
jasonsalvo
2007-01-18 15:25:32