WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jason_H. on 1/15/07 5:46am

Snoqualmie Circuit

I have seen the sunset, stained with mystic
     horrors,
Illumine the rolling waves with long purple forms,
like actors in ancient plays.

~Arthur Rimbaud

The weather forecast was too nice to sit and dream. I had to experience!!! Even though I was sick, I couldn't help but plan a trip. After many ideas lived then died - some due to access and others due to low level snow, I finally became set on the idea of going out to Chikamin and Lemah mountains. My summer wanderings in the area left me excited. I wanted to see what winter had to offer as Martin Volken's spring photos in his book BACKCOUNTRY SKIING: Snoqualmie Pass, hinted; there were peaks that begged to be visited. On an early Saturday morning Casey Ruff and I left with high hopes. Our day would begin in Commonweath Basin under brightening skies, sunny except for a few lingering clouds. The day would end disappointedly, but we didn't know that then.

Casey did a good job leading the way up the Basin. It wasn't long before we passed the last tracks, and began forging our own beyond Red Mountain. Our pace slowed considerably as dust on crust made skinning hard, and crust too weak to hold our weight made hiking impossibly slow. Still, our hopes were high. We had lots of time. Then came the Kendal Catwalk. Casey and I began this trip in the spirit of adventure. However masochist, we left Volken's description, although we did read. With maps and route finding skills, we expected to tackle challenges as they came along. What we didn't expect was to be stymied by our first one.

As we reached the ridge top, we traversed over until we came to the Kendal Catwalk. There is a fair amount of exposure here, and the trail was buried. I tied to ski it, Casey tried to climb it. I then tried to ski it once more, and backed off telling Casey that it was not good. He tried once more, and felt after he was back that it was the most precarious he had ever been. Casey is a very good skier. The reason it was so bad was because of snow conditions. Had we had a rope with a few nuts, screws, we would've ski belayed this section. It isn't very long. Feeling very disappointed we tried to look for other alternatives. None looked good. After looking at the maps we saw that if we climbed up the opposite side of the ridge we should be able to bypass the Kendal Catwalk. Our time for pushing on into unknown territory had passed. Snow, wind and clouds had come in, and a good camp on the catwalk itself too hard to leave for the unfamiliar. We pitched our tent and crossed our fingers for better luck the next day. It wasn't too be.

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0026.jpg

Morning woke with clouds having abandoned the sky. A very surreal feel; the cold chill seemingly sharpening the landscape and heavens. With camera in hand I tried my best to capture the memory. At least well enough before my fingers progressed from dull pain to no feeling at all. With the day so nice, we decided to pack our gear, and head for Chikamin. We figured we'd at least be able to summit this, and could accept it as a consolation prize. 

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0033.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0030.jpg

The climbing around the Kendal Catwalk was steep, although it didn't have to be, as we took the most direct route. Once on the ridge top we were happy to see the corresponding ridge lines and peaks leading to Chikamin Ridge. It seemed so easy from there, and the amazing powder left us full of SPIRIT. I told Casey on this trip that my body is ran on spirit. Once I reach the high country I am re-energized with excitement and zeal. I was then as full of spirit as I'd be on this trip. From then on it was finite, with no refills.

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0053.jpg

We cruised the champaign fields and traversed the ridge, following the lay of the land. As we came to a place in the ridge that fell to a lake, we took a high traverse. This cost us a lot of time, and I would not advise this in winter. Going to the lake would've saved us a lot of time. The traverse was risky in the icy snow, and was not fun. In corn snow it would be better. At worst you could hike it, but the dust on crust didn't allow for skinning and again wasn't strong enough for booting. We were left to sidestep across. Eventually we made it to the other side, but climbed up too early and found cliffs instead of an easy traverse. We skied back down around a buttress before booting up better snow to a pass. Above us was Alaska Mountain, only a short way. We tried to traverse the peak again but found steep cliffs. This time we decided to turn around instead of climbing over, and ski to Gold Creek Valley. We didn't want to go back the way we had come. We were betting on a ride from Hyak and, anyhow, sights of Alta Mountain, and a sweet couloir now seemed like a more reasonable consolation prize than Chikamin Peak now did. We skied down wet sloughing snow back to Alaska lake and from there to the valley bottom.

We eventually reached the base of Alta. It was two thirty. We dumped all of our gear, and planned on climbing up the couloir to see if the snow was worthy of spending another night and climbing in the morning. We crossed the creek, managing not to fall in, and climbed the left side of the couloir, bypassing a steeper section. We booted up about 1500-ft before deciding that the dust on crust wasn't worth the trouble. When we returned to our gear we quickly packed, knowing full well that we'd be making a night-march out to the road. It would take us another 6 hours to skate ski, hike, and wind our way around and along the creek to finally get back to civilization. When we saw cabins we thought that we were done, but at night the spider web of ski trails and snowmobile tracks didn't make choosing the most direct route easy. Since nothing had been easy on this trip, we of course took the scenic route. When I reached the road and saw cars, I thought, "Yes, I am finally done," but no. We had to skate ski all of the way to the freeway on ramp where we dumped our gear. Casey flagged down a car, which turned out to be a state trooper. He was happy to give Casey a ride back to our car.

In the end, I was happy to see new terrain. I wasn't so happy to put so much work in for so little of a return, but this time of year all bets are off. You go, you see, and you return better prepared for next time. Even then, maybe springs your best bet. Better yet, go in Gold Creek and see what winter has to offer. The valley is safe, and you aren't threatened by multiple aspects where snow continually changes nature.

I still have a little SPIRIT left, so maybe I'll tackle this area again this winter, but for now, I'm going to get some ice cream, and try and recover some of my dignity.

***I wanted to post other photos, but my computer's fan is broke so overheats after a few minutes  :'(
Nice report, a good read and beautiful photos as well Jason.

Sounds like you guys made a good choice to wait on the Catwalk.  I'm a softie when it comes to exposure yes, but that thing, it gives me the freakies even in the middle of a long dry summer. 

Gosh it was worth it if not just for the photos. I like how you are framing them inside of a black border. Very nice.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed. Here are some other photos from the trip.

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0006.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0063.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0003.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0005.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0020.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0028.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0061.jpg

http://cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/snoqualmiepass/kendalloop/DSC_0087.jpg

Those are beautiful pictures!  What are you shooting with?

author=cascadianwarrior link=topic=6030.msg24959#msg24959 date=1168908273]
Those are beautiful pictures!  What are you shooting with?

Nikon D200. It works well, but its a lot of extra weight. Unfortunately I think that there are trips where I will have to leave this beast behind.

Quote from cascadianwarrior: Those are beautiful pictures!  What are you shooting with?

Quote from Jason: Nikon D200. It works well, but its a lot of extra weight. Unfortunately

Nikon's newer D80 has the same sensor and 90% of the D200's features but is significantly lighter and costs less (less durable non-metal body).  Great photos.

author=Jason_H. link=topic=6030.msg24949#msg24949 date=1168897574]

In the end, I was happy to see new terrain. I wasn't so happy to put so much work in for so little of a return, but this time of year all bets are off. You go, you see, and you return better prepared for next time.

man, that totally describes a three day trip some friends of mine and I did over new years weekend...fortunately we went back this weekend and had better luck. 

I saw that chute you tried for on Alta while backpacking the PCT up to Chickamin over labor day weekend...definitely one of the things on my 'to-do list' for this winter.

Great pictures!

Sounds like a great trip. The combination of words and pics are pretty inspiring. Thanks.

I tried the exact same trip under similar conditions last year.  The catwalk is crazier than one might expect.  Hiking the PCT this summer, it appeared to me that a short distance S of the catwalk is a mellower gully that might be a viable alternative to the steeps of the catwalk. 

Thanks for the great TR and fantastic pictures.  Thanks also for cascadescrusades.org, which is a continual source of inspiration for me in my backcountry quests.

Nice work you 2.  As Tony said, if nothing else you got in some nice photography.  I'd also add that you got in the 1st overnighter of the season, which gets your back used to a weighted pack.  You're in too good a shape to leave that beast (the D200 that is) behind!  ;)

Good read, inspiring photography, Jason.
Keep up the good work.

Awesome photos and narration as always.  I have had my eye on the couloir since I spotted it last year.  I hope that someone finds it in good conditions and can enjoy it.

Nice work, and some excellent shots (I love the first one). I've been framing many shots like this for a while - easy to do in Photoshop using canvas size - I've automated it with an action so I can throw a frame on with one click.

Keep up the great TRs - as others have said your web site, and contributions here, are much appreciated.

Thanks guys  :D

I did notice that on my first photo I put Kendal Peak  ???. Close enough, right  :-[ ?

author=Jason_H. link=topic=6030.msg24960#msg24960 date=1168910634]
Nikon D200. It works well, but its a lot of extra weight. Unfortunately I think that there are trips where I will have to leave this beast behind.

That's why I was curious; I figured it had to be a digital SLR.  I upgraded last season from a pocket sized point-and-shoot to the Canon 20D.  There is no comparison to the quality of the images from what I was previously shooting but I find myself leaving it behind too often or not taking the time to set up a shot when out in the mountains.  In turn, I have not documented nearly as much as I used to but what I do have is better.  Quality over quantity I guess!

Great photos indeed, Jason. I've always liked your photos, but they seem to be getting even better over time. Nice try on the route also. My own summer trip out that way also piqued my curiosity about that as a ski destination, but I haven't even gone as far as trying yet.

Yeah, SLRs are bricks to be sure, but do take great photos (actually, rangefinders do too, with lighter weight, but aren't as ideal for sports photography where modern autofocus is a serious boon. But nonetheless check out Leica's new digital pro-level rangefinder - the M8 - for a light digital camera system that will give great quality with the body weighing a half pound less thand the D80, and the lenses also weighing less than Nikon equivalents due to their very compact nature, but also check out the price...). I've found I take a lot more photos when I use a chest-mounted case for my cameras (still film-based, though thinking about starting shopping...). Otherwise, there's always some down time in pulling it out of the pack etc. Glazers in Seattle has a nice selection of such cases and harnesses for them.

author=Jim Oker link=topic=6030.msg25024#msg25024 date=1168988721]
Great photos indeed, Jason. I've always liked your photos, but they seem to be getting even better over time. Nice try on the route also. My own summer trip out that way also piqued my curiosity about that as a ski destination, but I haven't even gone as far as trying yet.

Yeah, SLRs are bricks to be sure, but do take great photos (actually, rangefinders do too, with lighter weight, but aren't as ideal for sports photography where modern autofocus is a serious boon. But nonetheless check out Leica's new digital pro-level rangefinder - the M8 - for a light digital camera system that will give great quality with the body weighing a half pound less thand the D80, and the lenses also weighing less than Nikon equivalents due to their very compact nature, but also check out the price...). I've found I take a lot more photos when I use a chest-mounted case for my cameras (still film-based, though thinking about starting shopping...). Otherwise, there's always some down time in pulling it out of the pack etc. Glazers in Seattle has a nice selection of such cases and harnesses for them.

Thanks Jim, improving is what makes me happy. The digital format has allowed me to learn a lot faster and experiment where film did not (as much). If you need advice on the d200, let me know. I thought the metal parts were worth the extra cost, and it really has been very durable (I'm not friendly with gear. I use and abuse), and had no problems in the cold this weekend or the wet, but like the leica, it is expensive, but worth it in my book. Film is still nice though. I just don't have the time to set up. With digital, I point and shoot. Look. Oops. Take again. 

I'm dying to own an M8 as I have an M3 and three lenses which all will fit and function according to the available literature. A slightly less expensive alternative to the M8 is the Epson RD 1 body still pricey, but a little less so. Drool.

Reply to this TR

snoqualmie-circuit
Jason_H.
2007-01-15 13:46:14