Home > Trip Reports > Hurricane Ridge, Jan 14

Hurricane Ridge, Jan 14

1/14/07
WA Olympics
Posted by ovrthhills on 1/15/07 4:01am
After a late start, Sidnie and I skinned out toward Hurricane Hill to test out my new shoulder brace and check snow stability.  We crossed the Steep and Icy south facing slope and found a north facing 35 degree slope to dig a pit.  The results were a little disturbing.  At first there appeared to be no significant layers and the first column seemed consistent down three feet. Until I tried a shovel shear.  As soon as I inserted the shove, the top 2 ft. sheared away cleanly revealing a layer of faceted crystals above a thin crust.  I moved over five feet and isolated another wider column and the top slid off without even inserting the shovel, leaving a consolidated block about two feet thick.  We decide not to ski the slope and looked for south facing slopes.  The sun was having an effect on all south slopes and pinwheels and snow balls were rolling away under our track.  Finally we found a treed sw slope which was partially shaded by a ridge.  The top had tight trees with large rolls and drifts from last week's strong S winds.  After working through the trees the slope opened and we found a good line down a steep drainage in smooth but slightly heavy snow into an upper tributary the wolf creek drainage.  The skiing was surprisingly good on 6 inches to 1 ft. above a crust. The hike back up was difficult because of the ice layer  and required many kick turns.  We were both wishing for our ski crampons.  We returned to the road a skated back to the lodge..not a bad day for a casual tour.  Is anyone else noticing metamorphosis taking place on the Tuesday crust?
Thanks for posting this Mike. When you told me what you had found last night I was hoping you would post it.
The surface hoar at Crystal on Sunday was amazing. Never seen it so thick up here in the PNW.
Scotsman

Michael, I forgot to ask:  Why didn't you invite me? :'(

Mack, you aren't  injured enough.  I wanted to test out my shoulder without holding anyone back, except Sidnie. She has to wait for me. Besides, I knew you would be slaving over the stove preparing dinner.  So, I made 20 or so careful turns without popping my should out. :D  And then there was the four miles of skinning( blister test). Still not ready for a real tour.  Great dinner and fun get together. Thanks. 

author=Scotsman link=topic=6029.msg24954#msg24954 date=1168901667]
Thanks for posting this Mike. When you told me what you had found last night I was hoping you would post it.
The surface hoar at Crystal on Sunday was amazing. Never seen it so thick up here in the PNW.
Scotsman

Chris, that surface hoar will be the layer of note after more snow falls. The surface hoar was not so bad at Hurricane Ridge but the faceted snow on the rain crust will be a problem if the snowpack gets top heavy in the near future.

Reply to this TR

hurricane-ridge-jan-14
ovrthhills
2007-01-15 12:01:54