Home > Trip Reports > Jan 14, 2007, Kendall Ridge

Jan 14, 2007, Kendall Ridge

1/14/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by JW on 1/15/07 12:00am
Wow it was cold!  Eight degrees at Dan€™s Alpental condo when we picked him up. Jen , Myself and Dan met up with Darryl ,Maureen, Evan and Ron at the Summit West lot to begin our tour up Commonwealth valley.  Guye Peak was in fine form and showed itself through the trees as we toured. I left my ski crampons in the car (dohhh) and really wished  I had them as we climbed through the trees on a bomber crust from Tuesday's rain event. The six to eight inches of fresh that covered the crust out in the open didn't quite make through the forest canopy so it made for some interesting skinning. When we broke out of the trees the upper bowls were in truly great form with about six to eight inches laying over a crust that only broke if you turned too hard. Spectacular sunshine and views with great friends. Great tour you guys! 8)
Always fun to tour with such great ski partners.

One noteworthy observation was that above about 5,000 in the open areas (w facing) the rain crust was pretty much gone but about six inches or so below the surface, the grauple from the previous weekend was alive and well in a nice embedded layer.   It was obviously high enough that it did not get saturated by the rain which followed at the summit area a day or two after the grauple fell.  Lots of surface hoar, too. 
So I'm thinking a nice foot or two slab on top of of these two potentially weak layers and things could get exciting. 

A few more pics are posted HERE.

Hey it's about time I find a trip report from you funky cats :)

I knew the closure of MRNP wouldn't keep you out of the hills.  Nice to see you guys skiing (where was Mad_Dog) and taking photos.  I see the video camera on Jerry in those pics.  Does that mean that we can look forward to another Danjer production in the coming days?

Ron, I've been using Picasa too and really like it.  Seems like it's good for use with TAY?  I haven't had the need to link any pics yet though, since I haven't skied since June '06.  Yes, my hard earned 16 month streak is very dead.  Remember those Paradise Patch micro-line trips in summer 2005?...they were part of the streak that is now dead.  Bummer :'(  Yesterday I was cruising on my bicycle around Berlin and stumbled across and indoor skiing "hill" and had kooky thoughts of starting up another streak.  But when I checked out the "slope" and saw that it consisted of ~ 6' of vertical and a living room sized carpet on two motorized rollers...well, it was way too stupid and inner city to even want to try.  Also, in December a group built a slope from scaffolding and plywood right in the heart of Berlin; great skiing spirit, I must say.  It was about 30' high, 150' long and was covered with manmade snow.  The only problem was that they only allowed sledding and I don't consider that "turning."  So, it's probably next year in the Cascades as a fresh start for me.

Keep the reports coming and I'll live vacariously until then!

Hey JW,
            Scotsman here, and I agree with my old partner JibberD that I seriously miss the DANJER videos especially since Paradise is closed. :'(

Isn't it time for a retrospective of some of your best work such as a DanJer productions "greatest hits "video. :D

Come on man, get with  and it lets see some of those vids again!
Anyone second me on that request?

Scottie.

Hey Scottie, Jerry's got a fair collection of his videos posted HERE.

author=Scotsman link=topic=6027.msg25011#msg25011 date=1168980351]

Come on man, get with  and it lets see some of those vids again!
Anyone second me on that request?

Scottie.

Scotty, you'll have to talk to my agent 8) I do have some unfinished movies that should be done soon...but then again.... I've said that before 8) Hope to ski with you soon brother!

PS... Ron what's with the pic? I only get the red box.

author=JW link=topic=6027.msg25042#msg25042 date=1169018645]
Scotty, you'll have to talk to my agent...

Ok, Jer, I'll have my people talk to your people and get that cleared up...  ;)

Fact is, I haven't got a clue ??? 
I don't think there are any hotlinking restrictions at the site where the picture is posted.
I can make the pic come up in the thread by right clicking on the red x, clicking on "properties" and then copying the url that comes up (http://lh3.google.com/image/ron.jarvis/RasHb8zk5JI/AAAAAAAAAts/ccSOibvkoEQ/IMG_1104.JPG?imgmax=512) and pasting it into a new browser window and bring it up.  Then when I go back to the browser window with the thread in it and right click, then click on "show picture" it appears.  Seems like every time I start up my computer I have to go through the same process again, but once I do it the pic appears in the thread thereafter without further action.
Maybe some of our more computer savvy compatriots can explain it.  I'm not smart enough to explain away the mystery.  maybe something to do with security issues of my browser ?? [IE6].

Anyone else know what's going on here?

JW and RonJ,
Thanks for the link to the  DANJER video library. ;D I've been reliving some of your past escapades and remembering how much fun they where. 8)
Scottie

author=JibberD link=topic=6027.msg24951#msg24951 date=1168899791]
(where was Mad_Dog)

Hey Jibber, thanks for noticing that I wasn't there, at least someone cares ;), just fooling of course.  My son and his wife had just returned from a month in London visiting her family so we held off our Christmas until January 14 when they returned home.  One additional nice thing, we really did have a WHITE Christmas this year  ;D.  
Stay tuned, have some great plans ahead.

author=JW link=topic=6027.msg25042#msg25042 date=1169018645]
 Hey J, same thing happens to me too  :(, but i just keep clicking away and copying the properties of the photo and pasting it in the witchamajigger box  ;), (I'm not a computer wiz either) and before you know it, it pops up.  Once it's popped up then it will appear in the TR  :D.

Jeanette, of course I care :)  Also, you seem far too youthful to have a son who is already married.

Ron, thanks for the links to JW video vault.  I had fun watching them!

The linked pics from Picasa come up for me just fine.  I am a Google Picasa user but doubt that has anything to do with my not having troubles with the pics...

Hey Chris does your calling me your "old partner" mean I'm permanently off the circuit with you :'(  or that I'm just and old dude now that I'm pushing 40 ???  or what? ;)

Like I said, I'm looking forward to skiing vicariously through you all this year and am curious to see what Jeanette has in store.

Ahh, one of the many great mysteries of the internet ....   :)  why ya sometimes get the little-box-with-red-x ... and why sometimes you can actually see the picture.    

As it happens, I can see that pic from my home computer, but not from work... which is often the case for me, which makes me figure it probably has to do with firewall/antivirus settings.

JibberD,
            You are still my partner and I'm going to haul yer butt all over the hills when you get back from Germany next season and help you get rid of all that sausage and beer you've been consuming . :D We miss you JibberD. Getting any Euro skiing in?

Reply to this TR

jan-14-2007-kendall-ridge
JW
2007-01-15 08:00:58