Home > Trip Reports > Dec 13, 2007, Threeway Peak Basin

Dec 13, 2007, Threeway Peak Basin

12/13/07
Posted by Zap on 1/13/07 1:04pm
Chuck and I arrived at the Crystal lots at 8:45 and had to park in the lower RV area.  Things were very crowded.  There was a low cloud cover that never cleared.  We skinned along the Quicksilver lift and approached Silver Basin which was totally "skied out".  As we entered Threeway Basin there were numerous tracks from resort skiers the past 2 days.  There was a slight wind crust on various aspects in the upper basin.  At 6400', we pulled the skins and descended in boot deep powder in a trough and  the lower trees.  We then climbed into another north facing basin. We noticed the raincrust along the wind affected ridge about 4" below the surface.  As we dropped in the north facing basin, there was boot deep powder that was stable and we did not feel the raincrust.   As we returned into the resort the masses were everywhere and vehicles were parked along the road down to the lowest lots.  A relaxing day in the backcountry on my 60th B-day.
Happy Birthday, Zap.  :)

That's funny. My partner David and I both have birthdays this weekend and we both enjoyed a great day near East Peak above Crystal yesterday. The snow was as good as it gets. The vis was less stellar and we got a little turned around for a while. But its just hard to complain when the snow is that good. What a great birthday party it was.

Happy birthday Zap.

My friend Brian and I started skinning out at 5:20 up to bear gap for sunrise and some runs off Pickhandle Peak which was somewhat wind scorn but clean but called it early because of the temps wind and visability Nothing like dropping into a huge alpine bowl with no Visabilty

Reply to this TR

dec-13-2007-threeway-peak-basin
Zap
2007-01-13 21:04:46