Home > Trip Reports > Dec 30, Last Chance Peak (Mazama)

Dec 30, Last Chance Peak (Mazama)

12/15/06
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Kevin Steffa on 1/7/07 8:54am
Last Chance to head up into the alpine in 2006 -

Three of us, Mark, Tobin, and myself set out from the Lost River area at the end of the road. We skiied the road about an hour to the second switchback in the Harts Pass road, though others had passed by before us with a snowmachine... We debated whether to ascend the south slope of the mountain or by connecting two different basins and a ridgeline on the east side. In the end the track from those before led an optimum path, and we arrived at the summit shortly after they descended. Views into the heart of the range, and light fluffy pow all the way down (especially next to the shade of trees). A great place to meet old friends and end the year on!

http://picasaweb.google.com/kevinsteffa/06_12_LastChance
Kevin,

Nice photos! I noticed one of your party using shorter approach skis and snowboard.  My 18 y.o. son has expressed interest in joining me on backcountry outings with his snowboard.  Approach skis seem to be the best option for him since he's not interested in a split board setup.

Any feedback/tips on this approach? I couldn't tell what kind of bindings are on the approach skis, but I've been looking at the Karhu Karver binding/ski combo. If you're not the one on the board, could you ask your friend to comment.

Thanks, Russ

On second look at the photo it looks like he's using Dynafit binding/boots.

Russ lets hook up for a tour sometime. I have a set of short skis your son could try our. I also have a second split board if that is something you/he wants to try out. Personally once I used a split for the first time I never went back to the short skis.

Kevin- Nice report and photos.
author=russ link=topic=5957.msg24720#msg24720 date=1168295535]
On second look at the photo it looks like he's using Dynafit binding/boots.
 Yep, those are Dynafit bindings/boots (that's Tobin on the snowboard).  If I recall correctly, he cut-off the tails of some old skis for those approach boards which have the climbing skins permanently attached. 

Those short skies do make the steep switchbacks a little easier, and it was pretty efficient gliding up the track that day!

Russ~

Splitboard all the way.  best option to test 'em out if ya can't hook up w/ jimjar would be Second Ascent in Seattle, $25 gets pick up Friday evening and return on Sunday by 6pm...best deal this side of SODO (reference dependent on your specific location, a good deal none the less).

Best of luck, I could imagine the approach skis could be a hassle to schwack through the trees and what not.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments on bc boarding, I'll pass them on.  He's focusing on school this year, but wants to join in next.

jimjar - thanks for the offer, I'll PM you.

- Russ

Cool Russ. Just let me know. I also have a second splitboard if he would like to give one a try sometime.

Reply to this TR

dec-30-last-chance-peak-mazama
Kevin Steffa
2007-01-07 16:54:34