Home > Trip Reports > December 25, 2006, Whitewater Canada

December 25, 2006, Whitewater Canada

12/25/06
Canada elsewhere
Posted by WhiteSalmon on 1/5/07 1:00pm
We spent 3 days getting the rest of the Christmas freshie at Schweitzer in Idaho (that place has amazing tree skiing/riding€”good thing- lots of fog. Kind of sticky at the bottom, too. I was a bit cautious riding in the trees, last year I left my ACL on a stump in the Outback).

Then we headed north to Whitewater out of Nelson BC. This is a relatively small area so the only stuff left was out of bounds. Since my climbing skins were at the doctor€™s office I strapped on the old K2 approach skis (with permanent skins) and grabbed my snowboard. I climbed what I thought was a mellow skin track up along the fire road to Snow Queen above the Snow King lift. It turned into an extremely steep track in the woods. Notice the horizontal position of my snowboard in the picture. Notice the flimsy snowshoe type bindings on the approach skis. A skier (gal) at the top commented that the track was laid by male twentysomethings.  I believe it. A young buck that passed me said: €œWell ya gotta get up to the ridge some time€.  The view at the top at 7200€™ and the 2000€™  ride down in thigh deep light stuff blows away the whining. 

After a few days we headed for Red Mountain out of Rossland, BC. There were still stashes of stuff to find in the trees. The snow was definitely not Whitewater dry however. Just when I decided to try to head out towards Record Ridge to the SW of Granite off of the ridge road but a dense fog moved in and stayed for a few days, so I stayed in bounds. They call Rossland the city in the fog for a reason.

Reply to this TR

december-25-2006-whitewater-canada
WhiteSalmon
2007-01-05 21:00:21