Home > Trip Reports > January 3, 2007, Heather Ridge

January 3, 2007, Heather Ridge

1/3/07
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by BrianLee on 1/3/07 10:34am
After two days of being weathered out, my friend Harry and I decided to get out and see what kind of damage the last couple of days of freezing and regular rain did to the snowpack. We were pleasantly surprised to see that the new snow was piling up at Stevens. We skinned up to the cell tower on the east end of the ridge and rode down the trees back to the PCT. Above 4500 ft there were significant accumulations of very heavy snow. I am guessing 20 inches or so as it was hitting near my waist. There was no notice of the wet layer as it was buried under all of that snow. Below 4500 feet things got a little dicier as the wet layer had not started to re-freeze and we were setting off wet loose slides that included 8 inches or so of new snow plus large amounts of loose wet snow. We played it safe in the trees and wallowed down to the PCT and broke trail back to the pass. It was a fine afternoon.
I visited Heatehr Ridge today. I'd have to say this was the first time I have been there and came across TOO MUCH SNOW!! Breaking trail the snow was knee deep, using a 166 splitboard. With no floatation you would easily sink in up to and past your waste. Really difficult to get going, and turns where basically out of the question, it was point it and go or risk getting stuck. To bad avy danger wasnt so high, the open bowls and steeps would have been nice.

author=climbinghighest link=topic=5935.msg24650#msg24650 date=1168051158]
...TOO MUCH SNOW!!...

Looks like we may get a good spring/summer snowpack this year!

I hope we don't lose anyone tomorrow...

Yes, be safe today, and especially tomorrow. Avy forecast states that Sunday destrcutive slides are highly possible. 

Reply to this TR

january-3-2007-heather-ridge
BrianLee
2007-01-03 18:34:48