Home > Trip Reports > 12.31.06: glades below Jim Hill Mtn.

12.31.06: glades below Jim Hill Mtn.

12/15/06
Posted by kam on 1/1/07 10:42am
i procrastinate.  but it's done:

my flight lands at 1:30am Sunday morning because of a delay.  i orginially planned to drive 5-6 hours to Winthrop to join Cass for a tour on Sunday morning.  but for some reason the thought of whiteknuckle-driving over the pass and potentially snow-covered roads early in the morning seemed like a bad idea.  instead, i reconfigured my plans then arrived at Kelvin's house at 5:50am to find him warming up his garage with a propane heater and powering up the wet belt sander.  in ten minutes we cleaned up two pairs of skis i brought -- one pair i made last week,

Four of us put in the uptrack (M (I'm not Monika), D, J, and J) to just shy of the false summit on Friday. Very faint signs of down tracks in the low, old timber (below 4,000 feet) of others having been in the area earlier in the week. No signs of human activity in the upper bowl. We skinned to just short (less than 100 ft.) of the ridge top and farmed our lines from the middle of the bowl (below the false summit).  Snow was stable. No signs of debris. We did four long powder runs from there to near the lowest breakover, and skied out just before dark. Coverage is excellent for this early in the year.

Kam- Bummer you couldn't make the drive out to the Methow Valley, but looks like you made the best of the day with Wu Dawg.  (btw- the roads were in good shape in the Methow this weekend, though the drive home today was slowed substantially by sluggish traffic / freezing rain from about Cle Elum to Snoq. Pass).  Way to wait until the last day of the month to keep your ski streak alive!  :)

M, D, J^2: thanks for the nice track.  we should have followed it further.  at some point i'll learn....

Cass: glad to hear you enjoyed the Methow Valley.

Reply to this TR

12-31-06-glades-below-jim-hill-mtn
kam
2007-01-01 18:42:59