Home > Trip Reports > Dec 23, 2006, Red Mtn. 3 Peak-Pt 5703 Cle Elum

Dec 23, 2006, Red Mtn. 3 Peak-Pt 5703 Cle Elum

12/23/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 12/23/06 11:03am
What a 41st Birthday tour for me.  14 inches of light new, over 4" from Thurs morn, over 8" from last week.  Trail breaking was quite challenging right off the start at 2500 feet elev.  We really weren't sure how far we would get.
Pico C. and I were breaking a 14" deep skin track, pole depth of 16".  We went up the main clearcut and then up into the 3rd basin (southernmost), then up to the saddle of Pk. 5703' and a lower northeast point on the ridge 5360+ ft (no elev. on Topo map).  Then westward up to the top of 5703' (1st photo).  Our first run was incredible powder down the Southeast side of Pk. 5703' to about 4600 feet (2nd photo).  Then on with the skins and up to point 5360+ for its' long run off the northeast trending ridgeline (3rd photo), all the way down through the large clearcut to 2600 feet.  Almost 4000 vertical of turns in all.  Never steeper than 35 degrees, although lots of opportunity on this mountain for short steeper shots.  All the new snow kept us on lower angle, gladed, and treed slopes.
Yes this trip starts in a clearcut but with 3 bowls, 4 peaks, and lots of tree and glade skiing on multiple aspects, I am so surprised it doesn't get more attention.  One standard caveat: time this with a new snow and freezing levels below 2500 feet to avoid the infamous "Salmon La Sac Crud Zone".  We timed this one perfectly today as we were turning through 12 to 14" of powder all the way to the bottom!  Thanks Pico for sharing the trailbreaking: the best B-day present I could ask for!

Hey John,

Can't believe your 41!  Happy Birthday and happy touring.  Hope to see you out there.

Stimbuck

Looks like fun tree skiing! Where did you guys start this tour? Did you start near the Salmon La Sac guard station? Is this out near Davis Peak and/or Jolly Mtn?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/district/cleelum/winterrec.html

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=10&X=802&Y=6561&W=3

Thanks for the B-day wishes, John.  Grapevine has it that you have Jill Fredston coming to E-burg to show slides late Jan, cool.  I loved her book.
T-lux, this tour starts at the Cooper River road (FS 46) bridge.  Cross the bridge and go one mile on the groomed snowmobile route.  Then turn left, west into the forest to access the clearcut.  From there there are lots of options.
John

Reply to this TR

dec-23-2006-red-mtn-3-peak-pt-5703-cle-elum
John Morrow
2006-12-23 19:03:18