Home > Trip Reports > Yodelin Dec 22, 2006

Yodelin Dec 22, 2006

12/15/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by cebolla on 12/22/06 12:12pm
Our first tour up the ridge out of Yodelin was nice and (very) mellow. Arrived at the Yodelin lot at about 10:30. Skinned up the road skirting the old ski area through about 8-10" of light wind deposited snow on top of a crust layer. below that, the snow felt fairly consistent with a probe check. We climbed through the trees just west of the old ski runs until we reached the ridgeline. We managed two super fun (and short) tree runs that led back to the traverse.

Overall it was fun because the snow was great and the visability was great. If anyone knows any good lines to the west of the old ski area, I am all ears. The lines we got were mediocre compared to what I have encountered accross the highway on the somewhat sketchier south-facing aspects.

Any advice for future tours in this area?

Fun day overall with some sun and a few good turns.

Arrowhead Pk, Jim Hill, Jove Peak and Lichtenburg are all close & have good skiing.  Jim Hill has a long approach, whereas Arrowhead is pretty short.  Jim Hill is best suited to days with decent stablity.  Jove has a very long approach...great skiing, but get an early start.

Thanks for the info.
My Partner has toured Jim Hill and said it was awesome. They all sound fun. I tend to like longer tours rather than lapping things, so these could be up my ally. Not that Yodelin was bad or anything, just really short.

Thanks again

Excelent~

more and more splitters comming out of the wood work....Perhaps a PNW splitfest is in call for.

Good work, Cebolla perhaps an excursion in the future?

We also found super fun skiing at Yodelin on a tour there yesterday (Dec. 23rd).  We had 3 excellent runs in the forest (about 800 vf each) with face-shots on almost every turn.  Definitely seemed like a day to stay clear of steeper and more open slopes owing to the significant avy hazard.  We heard several avy bombs go off in the direction of the Stevens ski area during the morning.  The shallow crust layer underlying the new snow since Wednesday was generally about 10-to-15" deep on the higher slopes of Yodelin. 

We dug a pit in a gladed area at about 4,800-ft on a north aspect.  Justin took detailed snow pit notes for his snowpack blog site, which he'll likely post a link to later.  Of particular concern was the shallow crust layer, which was about 10" deep at the snow pit location.  Compression test with 5 taps from the elbow resulted in clean breaks on either side of this crust.  We got a rutchblock score of 2 on this same layer.  Also a bit scary was a very clean and rapid break on a persistent weak layer (on what appeared to be buried surface hoar) noted 160 cm deep in the compression test (5 taps from the shoulder). 

Some photos from the trip are posted here:

http://www.cascadesfreak.com/gallery/Yodelin12-23-2006

Yes, good times on the 23rd. No doubt about it.
Great skiing and super fun snow geeking.
Results posted here: http://cascadesnowgeek.blogspot.com/
Looking forward to looking at all of the pictures. Face shots all day.

Nice to meet you guys!  Fantastic day indeed -- I had a snow beard and clogged nostrils on every run...

cass and all--those photos of all that snow are making me drool...looks sweet! 

yodelin was the first place i ever went in the bc.  it holds a special place.  ;D

I skipped town right after the trip to Yodelin on the 23rd, and I'm just now getting around to posting my pics. There are a few on my site. Scroll the photo strip to the left to find them. Happy new year everyone and I'll see you out skiing again soon!

Reply to this TR

yodelin-dec-22-2006
cebolla
2006-12-22 20:12:54