Home > Trip Reports > March 22, 2003, Lichtenburg

March 22, 2003, Lichtenburg

3/22/03
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by ski_photomatt on 3/22/03 8:53am
Some quick info for those still debating about tomorrow, or for those wondering what other parts of the Cascades were like Monday morning.  Ned_Flanders, Jim and I headed out to Stevens looking for some powder.  We ended up at Lichtenburg.  Surprised not to see any other cars, we broke trail through the slush.  Between 4 and 5000ft the snow depth increased exponentially;  there was 2-2.5ft of new snow at 5000ft making trail breaking extremely strenuous.  Skiing down was also difficult and a trail more or less had to be broken on the lower angled treed runs we were confined to.  Not quite as deep as two weeks ago at Heather Ridge, but close.  The best skiing was actually lower down, 4-4500ft where less new snow had fallen and skiing easier (and in fact possible).  Freezing level gradually dropped throughout the day, going from 'rain flakes' to snow at the highway.

FYI:  our original intention was to ski Arrowhead, but when we arrived at the DOT plowed pullout near the train tunnel exit, a security guard waved at us and we walked over.  She said this was 'private property' and trespassing was prohibited.  I said we were going skiing in the National Forest on public land, she said your car may get towed.  Evidently terrorist concerns have led the government to place a security guard next to the DOT maintainence shed and tunnel outlet, and perhaps, at least temporary, close this parking lot to skiers.  She looked quite surprised that anyone would want to park there and go skiing and we got the impression she had not been told what to do if skiers had arrived, whether to let them park and go or tell them to move along. I asked whom we could contact and ask and she simply said 'we are under code red, I can't say anything'.  We perhaps could have parked there without any consequences, but we didn't want to take the chance of having our car towed or alarming any authorities needlessly.
I love "Rain Flakes"

ski_photomatt,

Thanks for the TR, and especially for the beta about the ventillation tunnel parking area.  ???  I was thinking about heading up to those parts soon. Guess I'll try and make some phone calls to see what is going on...

-If anybody finds out more, please post.

Thanks,

-Tom M.

Reply to this TR

march-22-2003-lichtenburg
ski_photomatt
2003-03-22 16:53:04