Home > Trip Reports > December 17, Skyline Ridge, Stevens Pass

December 17, Skyline Ridge, Stevens Pass

12/15/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by bc44caesar on 12/18/06 9:21am
Will (wlm3) and I had a nice day out at Stevens Pass yesterday.  We left the pass around 8:30 I think or thereabouts, and headed up the road towards Skyline Ridge.  After skiing around the edge of the lake and up to the ridge proper we dug a snow pit on the north-northwest side of the ridge.

Will's comments on the first pit:
"First pit we dug was a NNW slope at 30 degrees inclination.  Gradually increasing density with depth with no significant layers.  We found a consistent grade 1 break down about 90 cm but shoulder hits on a compression test was required to break it loose.  It appeared to be just low density snow."

We skied a line primarily through the trees towards the head of the valley for some nice powder turns.  We cut the descent short and started skinning back up to the saddle between Pt 5482 and Pt 5476.  The saddle and ridge up to the latter point were wind hammered and made getting up a little more difficult, but the 360 views from the top of the point were spectacular, with especially good views of Glacier, Sloan, and others to the north.  We skied down a short ways until the angle began to steepen and dug another pit on a east-southeast aspect.  Similar conditions were found - about 10cm of the light and fluffy on top and increasing density further down.  We did find a layer with graupel about 90cm down with a shear test, but a compression test yielded no failures throughout the depth of the pit.

From this spot directly below the high point, I skied slightly left and found a beautiful line that gave us a superb ride down and fantastic powder turns.  Once down at the bottom of the valley we skinned it back up and descended the heavily skied out slopes down to the pass, finding a couple turns of fresh powder left here and there.  All in all a great day out!! :D :D :D

Casey
We also noticed surface hoar on a generally North facing slope at about 5100 ft, just below the ridge.  Interesting to note, I recently purchased some polarized sun glasses and the surface hoar sparkles with these on when the sun is out.   

What a splendid day  ;D

Reply to this TR

december-17-skyline-ridge-stevens-pass
bc44caesar
2006-12-18 17:21:21