Home > Trip Reports > Dec 13, 2006, Hyak Dawn Patrol

Dec 13, 2006, Hyak Dawn Patrol

12/13/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by wlm3 on 12/13/06 1:22pm
We were hoping to catch the freshly fallen 1+ foot of snow while the east wind was still in place and before the storm arrived.  Not this time!

Casey (bc44caesar) and I decided to slog through the rain soaked snow, up the ~27 degree slope just to the right of the Keechelus? lift.  Wind and rain was starting to howl and the stinging hail was not far behind.  Conviently, the sun pierced the clouds and provided enough light for us to ski down through the wet concrete like snow.

Although this sounds miserable, we both had a great time earning some morning exercise, practicing our concrete skiing skills, and getting to know each other.

What a great way to start a work day! 
Sounds like worse conditions than we had.  Were the lifts open at all by the time you left? 

No.  Hyak isn't scheduled to open until Saturday.  And we left the parking lot by 8am.  I believe Hyak isn't normally open during the week except for maybe holiday times so it seems like a decent place for dawn patrols when the ave conditions are high.  Sounds like you had some nice turns!

For the $ expended they were happenin'. ;D

To add some from my perspective, the skinning was easy and quite enjoyable, the weather was unpleasant but tolerable, and the skiing was in terrible condition but excellent practice.  I've never skied in such awful rain-soaked snow-cement before!  Looking forward to doing it again, what a great way to spend a morning before work!

Reply to this TR

dec-13-2006-hyak-dawn-patrol
wlm3
2006-12-13 21:22:40