Home > Trip Reports > December 9, 2006, Source Lake/Chair Peak area

December 9, 2006, Source Lake/Chair Peak area

12/9/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by spltbrdr on 12/11/06 1:35am
Snowtroll, Alex, Preston and myself set out with low expectations for a tour in the Alpental backcountry today.  We left the Alpental parking lot around 8:45AM with the intent of going to Mt Snoqualmie (the waterfall is not passable) but after struggling on the skin up (including crampons for the 3 split boarders) we decided to reverse route and head towards Source Lake.  Another party of three continued up to Mt Snoqualmie bootpacking - hope their effort was rewarded.  In any case, it's always a good source of entertainment watching splitboarders descend in split mode with skins!! 

We headed up to Source Lake with low expecations, however it was starting to snow quite heavily.  At Source Lake, we decided to head up towards Chair Peak as the snow was starting to accumalate.   The snow on the skin was light, unconsolidated snow that was sliding quite easily off the crust that formed this past week.   We ran into another party of skiers at the end of the first large traverse who continued up to Chair Peak and were going to ski the north side.  At that point  (with very low visibility) we decided to transition and descend back towards Source Lake.  On the descent, on steep aspects, the snow (at this point roughly 4-6 inches) sloughed quite easily off the crust.  Nothing dangerous, but something to keep an eye on.  All of us (even the telemarker) were able to stay above the crust and enjoy what nature gave us today.    All in all, good to get out - even if the turns weren't epic - it was good to get out!
I don't know if we bumped into your party. Aaron and I left the parking lot at the same time and toured up and skiied the Bryant Couloir, but it did not start snowing till noon. We had some clear sky up near the top of the couloir but we found some isolated slab activity on North/NE aspects from wind loading, 4-8 inch slabs, nothing wide spread. We bumped into some other parties on our second run thru Big Trees, below Pineapple Pass, which had the best snow. We found a lot of debris in the upper slopes and in the couloirs but not to dense. It should get good by Wed!

Reply to this TR

december-9-2006-source-lake-chair-peak-area
spltbrdr
2006-12-11 09:35:12